Truck Noob Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JRam5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
So, at the risk of sounding silly... If I have a Tow/Haul aux button, do I have a tow pkg or assist of some sort?
Nothing on my build sheet, I don't have a 4x4 nor the +/- assist levers or a trailer hitch for that matter... but I do have the 4 & 7 pin connectors.

Thanks

Last edited:

BlkZrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
Engine
Hemi 6.4
All tow/haul does is lock out overdrive..

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
JRam5.7

JRam5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
If it' not on the build sheet I would say no. I' pretty sure every 1500 has the tow/haul button

Yeah typically but my truck was a dealer locate and had some options installed not listed by the original dealer. Thanks.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD

Unless that is specific to the 1500's, no it doesn't. I have a CTD 2500 and my friend had a 6.4 2500 and Tow/Haul changed shift points and allowed for more aggressive engine or exhaust braking. It most certainly did NOT lock out overdrive though.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

Tow/Haul mode does not lock out overdrive even in the 1500's, it changes the shift points so the engine is higher up in it's torque band.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Unless that is specific to the 1500's, no it doesn't. I have a CTD 2500 and my friend had a 6.4 2500 and Tow/Haul changed shift points and allowed for more aggressive engine or exhaust braking. It most certainly did NOT lock out overdrive though.

On a 1500 gasser, add that tow/haul allows engine braking to become more aggressive. Tow/haul on the Cummins trucks, well, that is completely different, it is an integration with the exhaust brake and cruise control.

OP
OP
JRam5.7

JRam5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Imagine that, dealer told me different. Another reason dealers suck..

Its amazing how little sales & service know about their (all brands) products. Although I didn't bother asking them this question, thanks everyone.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
OP, did you ever figure out the answer? I'm not even sure what a tow package would include for the 1500. I would think a tow package would have a trans cooler, but maybe not on a half ton. Having the 4/7 pin wiring is a bonus, so you don't have to worry about wiring anything except a brake controller. Chances are that you have a wiring harness somewhere in the truck to easily wire and install an aftermarket brake controller (I like the Tekonsha P3, personally).

The hitch is the easiest part to install, in my opinion. You can buy one for about $150-$175 and they fit to your existing frame using existing bolt holes in your frame. I've installed a couple of hitches in family and friends vehicles over the years... they take about an hour and are pretty straightforward to install.

OP
OP
JRam5.7

JRam5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
OP, did you ever figure out the answer? I'm not even sure what a tow package would include for the 1500. I would think a tow package would have a trans cooler, but maybe not on a half ton. Having the 4/7 pin wiring is a bonus, so you don't have to worry about wiring anything except a brake controller. Chances are that you have a wiring harness somewhere in the truck to easily wire and install an aftermarket brake controller (I like the Tekonsha P3, personally).

The hitch is the easiest part to install, in my opinion. You can buy one for about $150-$175 and they fit to your existing frame using existing bolt holes in your frame. I've installed a couple of hitches in family and friends vehicles over the years... they take about an hour and are pretty straightforward to install.
Just the answers got here from these great peeps. Thanks

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
Tow package my 2013 came with has tranny and engine hd cooler, 4 and 7 pin connector and class IV hitch. Tow haul button also, but did not come with the trailer brake.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Its amazing how little sales & service know about their (all brands) products. Although I didn't bother asking them this question, thanks everyone.

Yeah there has never been a time I didn't go into the dealer knowing more about the vehicle I was wanting to purchase than they did. Most of them know a little. It infuriates me when they don't know the little things. "Where is the hood release?"...." Aaaaa... I don't know."

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can tell you in my '12, Tow/Haul definitely changes that shift points and uses the transmission as a brake when going downhill.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01