Truck pulls to left or right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KrisIL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi
Since I bought my truck I struggle to get it right. When I drive mostly on highway the truck pulls to one side. Not always. Sometimes it drive straight but most of the time it's pulling to left and I have to hold my steering wheel turn more right to keep it straight. It also pulls to right but not as much.
Let me describe what is going on exactly.... I drive on highway with my steering wheel and tires straight and suddenly it feels like out of nowhere both of my tires tilt left or right.
Here is a list of what I have replaced so far:
- Power steering rack and pinion
- CV Axles
- Stabilizer links
- Front lower and upper ball joints
- Shock absorberts front and rear
- Tires
I have alignment done before I replaced those parts and twice after. Still the same. What else could be the problem? Is it something is steering wheel? Or is it possible that I have not tighten power steering rack enough? It was really hard to remove those mounting bolts and if I remember correctly someone told me they should be re-tighten with some pretty powerful wrench. I did it with regular socket wrench. I really need this fixed. It bothers me like crazy.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you have bigger tires a steering stabilizer may help since it pulls both ways. Also, some if not most highways basically have shallow ruts in them from heavy truck traffic and since their stance is wider you'll pull left and right because of that. If there's fresh pavement around you could get a better idea of it's real tendencies. As long as the rack doesn't have play in it you should be fine. If not tightened enough it can come loose though. Perhaps someone on here knows the torque specs. Tried different rims if the holes are ovaled a bit it could cause that? Wheel bearings good? I did have a similar problem just before a tie rod let loose, but I would think the alignment shop would have picked up on that.

OP
OP
K

KrisIL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have bigger tires a steering stabilizer may help since it pulls both ways. Also, some if not most highways basically have shallow ruts in them from heavy truck traffic and since their stance is wider you'll pull left and right because of that. If there's fresh pavement around you could get a better idea of it's real tendencies. As long as the rack doesn't have play in it you should be fine. If not tightened enough it can come loose though. Perhaps someone on here knows the torque specs. Tried different rims if the holes are ovaled a bit it could cause that? Wheel bearings good? I did have a similar problem just before a tie rod let loose, but I would think the alignment shop would have picked up on that.
Tie rods are new. I think the torque should be 235 ft/lbs on the bolts. Will check it to make sure it is correct. I might need to borrow torque wrench from my buddy. Also I did not inspect for bearing failure but no noise coming from them

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm running short on further ideas, but control arm bushings is the last thing I can think of that might cause the problem apart from something in the front end like the frame being bent and causing play under load because the steering geometry is out of whack. Would look fine on a hoist since everything would be tight and wheel alignment would still look good on the machine. Might explain fast wearing parts.

OP
OP
K

KrisIL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
frame being bent
Who knows...this might be a problem since the truck was previously used by a contractor who was doing some stone work on new houses. He told me that he has used the truck to bring some stones.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
There's certain points that body shops measure that have a range from the factory to determine whether a frame is straight or not. Not sure of the points or the measurements though. Might be something a local body shop could look up for you to check.

OP
OP
K

KrisIL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There's certain points that body shops measure that have a range from the factory to determine whether a frame is straight or not. Not sure of the points or the measurements though. Might be something a local body shop could look up for you to check.
I will assume also if it was a frame problem then it will be happening all the time. But the thing is sometimes it drives without issues.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Last idea, because I think I've used up all my thinking for the day already. Any codes? Possible TCS issues and or binding brakes. The rear caliper slides often have binding problems. I might be sending you in too many directions at once.

OP
OP
K

KrisIL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last idea, because I think I've used up all my thinking for the day already. Any codes? Possible TCS issues and or binding brakes. The rear caliper slides often have binding problems. I might be sending you in too many directions at once.
I can tell you that when I replaced my rear brake pads and rotors those caliper slides were bad looking but I thought they will not affect anything till I use handbrake. What I will do is lift the car and hand spin each wheel to see if the brakes are binding. Bit O did replace all pads and all rotors on front and back

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
There's a few threads on front end wandering around that may help a bit. There's a pretty good thread on the ford truck site and a truck steers like **** thread on this forum that has a few suggestions. As far as the brake binding it's possible, but it's down the list as far as likely causes. Just thinking outside the box a bit because I see what's been done already.

OP
OP
K

KrisIL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I replaced the tires and everything works fine now. But experienced another problem. Will start a new thread on that one.