Truck stalls when turning sharply...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jgc1986

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
So my 02 did a new trick yesterday...I was turning into a parking spot (sharply) and my truck cut off...This happened last week too but I thought then maybe I had turned the key while parking because I was in a hurry...

So...Whats this new trick say is broke/needs adjusting on my truck? I had the steering rack replaced in Aug 2017. Power steering fluid is full and clean still.

Power Steering sensor maybe?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
The tighter you turn the higher the power steering presure is needed putting a greater load on the pump. At idle this can pull the engine down enough to die. The 02 I believe has a pressure sensor on the output of the ps pump. The sensor is normally open, when it senses high pressure it closes sending a signal to the pcm to raise the idle speed to around 650rpm. Normally this keeps the engine running while making a turn. A quick check is with the engine idling to unplug the sensor and short the two contact's. This should cause the engine to increase its idle..

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Had sane thing with my Ram and replaced egr valve and since then no problems.

Atruckgirl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
I have a 06 Ram, that dies when making tight right hand turns. It will always die, 2 times in a row, and it does it at random. I will talk to my mechanic about replacing the egr valve. Thank you, for the helpful advice.