Truck won’t crank, anti theft light flashing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PigSooieHailGul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So the other night I left the key to ACC and got out. Next day hopped in to go and all the lights on my dash were lit and NO BUS on odometer. Key was stuck.

I checked all the fuses and fine and unplugged and plugged back every plug I could find on the truck(took forever). Still nothing. Including disconnecting battery and grounding cables out for a reset.

So I jumped the truck. This time the lights went away, key was able to come out, and no more No Bus signal but it still won’t crank. But I do have a flashing red light that I read was anti theft light.

What options do I have besides towing to dealership? I’m nearly 2hr away from nearest dealership. I can do mechanic work properly just I’m not a mechanic so limited on diagnosing.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I first read the title of your post, the first thing I thought of is ****, he's in the wrong truck--I guess not--good luck in getting your problem fixed---
Jay

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So the other night I left the key to ACC and got out. Next day hopped in to go and all the lights on my dash were lit and NO BUS on odometer. Key was stuck.

I checked all the fuses and fine and unplugged and plugged back every plug I could find on the truck(took forever). Still nothing. Including disconnecting battery and grounding cables out for a reset.

So I jumped the truck. This time the lights went away, key was able to come out, and no more No Bus signal but it still won’t crank. But I do have a flashing red light that I read was anti theft light.

What options do I have besides towing to dealership? I’m nearly 2hr away from nearest dealership. I can do mechanic work properly just I’m not a mechanic so limited on diagnosing.

Try taking the negative post off the battery and use a battery charger to bring the battery back up in voltage.The way the trucks are set-up,they won't really bring a battery back to a full charge via the alternator if the battery has been killed

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like the battery was drained and perhaps damaged. I would put a battery charger on it and bring the battery to full charge. Hope you didn't fry some electronics with trying the jump start. If still no crank, have the battery checked. If the battery is 2012 vintage, its probably time to replace it anyway.

Otherwise the owners manual should say something like this: "After turning the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position, the Vehicle Security Light will turn on for three seconds for a bulb check. If the light remains on after the bulb check, it indicates that there is a problem with the electronics. In addition, if the light begins to flash after the bulb check, it indicates that someone used an invalid Key Fob to start the engine. Either of these conditions will result in the engine being shut off after two seconds.

If the Vehicle Security Light turns on during normal vehicle operation (vehicle running for longer than 10 seconds), it indicates that there is a fault in the electronics. Should this occur, have the vehicle serviced as soon as possible by an authorized dealer. "

I don't think either of these conditions cause a no crank, it just won't run more than a couple seconds..... at least for a North American truck. So if you solve the no crank by fixing the battery but it only runs a couple seconds, then there is probably an electronics module problem.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PigSooieHailGul

PigSooieHailGul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The battery was replaced in June 2017, took it to be tested today at Oreillys and left there all day to be charged. They said the battery test good. :/

Fuxton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've seen keys have errors and lose programming. Normally a flashing theft light (while correct key is inserted) just means a communication issues between the two.

Have any mobile locksmiths that have programming capabilities local to you?

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Once you get the battery back in you could try your another FOB. You may get lucky :)

OP
OP
PigSooieHailGul

PigSooieHailGul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m going to call a mobile locksmith now actually to come see what they can do.

And my other fob is in Bayou Metro WMA somewhere after I dropped em duck hunting a couple years back

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I’m going to call a mobile locksmith now actually to come see what they can do.

And my other fob is in Bayou Metro WMA somewhere after I dropped em duck hunting a couple years back

For some reason I have a picture in my head of a couple of ducks driving your truck around......

OP
OP
PigSooieHailGul

PigSooieHailGul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have mallard Curlies covering my truck lol

So locksmith came out and tried my key and recorded another. He got both to work to unlock and lock but said the trucks immobilized wasn’t responding to my key.

OP
OP
PigSooieHailGul

PigSooieHailGul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can Diablo Trinity fix it? I do have that on my truck.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can it read security module DTCs like a WiTech does? As far as I know, only a dealer (or a shop with a WiTech and subscriptions) can troubleshoot and resolve an immobilizer problem. Hopefully someone jumps in here that had one fixed without the dealer trip.

I wonder if the trinity is messing with you. The security code for starting is split between a couple different modules, including the PCM.