True dual exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
*Note* (wont let me delete other post)
My exhaust is shot, and i have found the stock exhaust system has a Y pipe, muffler, then dual tails. Not acceptable. Has anyone here done a true dual exhaust, and re-used factory cats? Which brand and model muffler did you use, and was there drone?

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you want to do the entire system we offer stainless works which offers long tube headers and a x configuration mid pipe that will go to a dual exhaust.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you want to do the entire system we offer stainless works which offers long tube headers and a x configuration mid pipe that will go to a dual exhaust.

Nice! Where are you located, and do i need to buy another cat for true duals, and is there a harness that syncs the (2) cats into one to plug into the factory cat harness? That is going to be the biggest problem. I might have to buy another cat.
Or if i delete the cat, can a tuner turn off the check engine light, and will the motor run normal?

Last edited:

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

If I’m reading this right Nick is proposing an x-pipe config which is not a true dual exhaust, but is still worth considering IMHO. This is the setup I would go with if I was going to replace from headers on back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hitchhiker is correct. No one does a full true dual setup anymore because honestly its not as efficient as an x pipe. the xpipe will help create vacuum which will help exhaust your um...exhaust lol.

I highly recommend these http://stainlessworks.net/dodge-ram-2009-14-headers with the performance connect which is the x pipe set up. match this to a SW catback and you will have a great flowing system. you can get them catted or with out cats and they will come with O2 extenders. A tune will be needed for no cats and its highly recommended possibly needed even with cats to get the most out of your new setup

Goose_1327

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have stock manifolds to the cats, then dualed to an xpipe, out to 2 Carven R mufflers and out the tails and I absolutely love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a custom shop remove the factory system between the cats and the resonators/tips and run a true dual setup with twin Xcelerator mufflers. From the back, it looks completely stock. Only thing I don't like about it, it's not as loud as I'd hoped for...

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok from what i have googled, the stock exhaust comes from exhaust manifolds, then to a Y pipe wjrh a single cat, then to a single muffler, then to dual tail pipes. I am looking to install an X pipe, them muffler (s) then to tail pipes. If you have done this...please list mufflers used, if a second cat and wiring was used, and if a tuner was needed for running a second cat to make the system legal for inspection.

Last edited:
OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hitchhiker is correct. No one does a full true dual setup anymore because honestly its not as efficient as an x pipe. the xpipe will help create vacuum which will help exhaust your um...exhaust lol.

I highly recommend these http://stainlessworks.net/dodge-ram-2009-14-headers with the performance connect which is the x pipe set up. match this to a SW catback and you will have a great flowing system. you can get them catted or with out cats and they will come with O2 extenders. A tune will be needed for no cats and its highly recommended possibly needed even with cats to get the most out of your new setup

*****!!! For $1500; i could fully tig weld my own headers. Im a union boilermaker and been X-ray tig welding for 25 years. You would need to be fully diagnosed with down syndrome to pay that price for headers. Lmao!!!

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
*****!!! For $1500; i could fully tig weld my own headers. Im a union boilermaker and been X-ray tig welding for 25 years. You would need to be fully diagnosed with down syndrome to pay that price for headers. Lmao!!!

Start welding and start selling them then. Sell them for half price using same or better material and make a killing

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Yeah the price of new long tubes is insane. I’m glad I got my 3rd gen with $300 Longtubes haha

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

For a quality set that's what the going rate is. We of course can offer a discount but I think you are looking for a much less expensive route.

Also there are 2 cats. Look under your truck, what ever info you are looking at on Google is wrong. It should be very easy to see if you slide under there.

There are plenty of fellow RAM owners here that have gladly paid the price for a quality setup.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I wouldn't be so quick to diss the single in dual out muffler design.

True, the factory Y pipe is crap, but just adding a direct flow Magnaflow or Carven will make a huge difference.

The OEM piping is bigger than you'll want in a true dual--and even true duals must have an X or H pipe to equalize pressure.
That is essentially what a quality single in dual out muffler is doing for you.
So unless you are planning to do headers [Edit: and cutting out the] Y pipe [snip] or buying a full dual system from header to tail, you may be better off if the pipe is still good just losing the factory muffler.

Last edited:

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
I wouldn't be so quick to diss the single in dual out muffler design.

True, the factory Y pipe is crap, but just adding a direct flow Magnaflow or Carven will make a huge difference.

The OEM piping is bigger than you'll want in a true dual--and even true duals must have an X or H pipe to equalize pressure.
That is essentially what a quality single in dual out muffler is doing for you.
So unless you are planning to do headers and a new Y pipe (because there is only one factory Cat), or buying a full dual system from header to tail, you may be better off if the pipe is still good just losing the factory muffler.

What year you saying has 1 factory cat?
My 2014 has 2, looks like below picture.
1516499633628447267669516407307-jpg.118364

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Crackerjack:
You're right. I got caught up in exhaust 101 and forgot about the way FCA does smog control and O2 sensors. My original post edited to correct.

Real issue is still need two mufflers with an X or H fitting and have to cut out the Y pipe to do "true duals" even keeping factory Cats.

Your picture shows just how awful the crossover is.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
The Y pipe on my 6.4 2500 looked even worse than that picture above. Looked like they put it in a vise & squeezed it shut far enough to go into one pipe. I had a custom shop cut out the system before the Y pipe & then I used a duel in duel out muffler to give me that X pipe scavenging effect. Haven't done long tubes yet as they are $1,900 for the 6.4!!!

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah the factory y-pipe looks like poop. I also wonder if it contributes to resonant vibrations because of the "we squished it so it fits" portion.

To me it looks like what a 17 year old hack would do to make an exhaust pipe fits. I know it would be slightly more expensive but FCA couldnt come up with a better way?