trying to bleed brakes, no fluid coming out in rear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gbpxl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Initial problem- pedals go all the way to the floor, very little stopping power. Plenty of fluid in master cylinder reservoir. Looked under truck, don't notice any leaking.

I finally was able to replace all 4 bleeder valves that were seized up, and I replaced the 20+ year old rusted steel brake lines in the rear. I can get plenty of fluid pumping out of the front driver side, moderate success in the front passenger, little success in the rear driver and no success in the passenger rear. Yes I did it in the right order, starting with the farthest valve away from the master cylinder and worked my way up.

When I had someone press the brakes while I was under the truck I did notice occassional dripping (maybe brake fluid?) coming from center of vehicle. I can't see where it's coming from though.

Also the ABS light and a red brake light are both on. The e-brake is disengaged.

1996 Dodge Ram
5.2L
ABS brakes
rotors in front
drums in rear

hoe...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You generally need to plug in a diagnostic computer and go through a set procedure to bleed ABS brakes.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Hero6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
gbpxl,

I just had a similar problem on my 99, it ended up being the brake proportioning valve in the engine bay next to the ABS module. I had little to zero fluid making it to the rear brakes, replaced it with one from Pick-n-Pull for $6 and it is good to go now. You can test it by disconnecting the lines that leave it and go to the rear brakes and press the brake pedal, if nothing or little come out, it is bad.

You may also want to consider the rear rubber brake hose that attaches to the rear differential, i have heard that the insides can collapse on itself and block fluid to the rear brakes. I replaced mine with one from AutoZone for about $22 as I was troubleshooting my problem. And obviously you need to ensure you do not have a leak somewhere along the line. Good luck and let us know what you find.

OP
OP
G

gbpxl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
You generally need to plug in a diagnostic computer and go through a set procedure to bleed ABS brakes.

What is the procedure?

OP
OP
G

gbpxl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
gbpxl,

I just had a similar problem on my 99, it ended up being the brake proportioning valve in the engine bay next to the ABS module. I had little to zero fluid making it to the rear brakes, replaced it with one from Pick-n-Pull for $6 and it is good to go now. You can test it by disconnecting the lines that leave it and go to the rear brakes and press the brake pedal, if nothing or little come out, it is bad.

You may also want to consider the rear rubber brake hose that attaches to the rear differential, i have heard that the insides can collapse on itself and block fluid to the rear brakes. I replaced mine with one from AutoZone for about $22 as I was troubleshooting my problem. And obviously you need to ensure you do not have a leak somewhere along the line. Good luck and let us know what you find.
Well I see I am definitely leaking brake fluid in a very hard to reach area in the middle of the truck, but it's pretty negligible.

I looked up the brake proportioning valve in my Haynes manual and I am not seeing anything. Is there another name for it? And is it the device below the master cylinder reservoir?

hoe...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What is the procedure?
You plug the diagnostic computer in and follow the directions. The computer will activate the various valves etc. To bleed it properly.

The actual procedure differs by vehicle.

Hero6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I see I am definitely leaking brake fluid in a very hard to reach area in the middle of the truck, but it's pretty negligible.

I looked up the brake proportioning valve in my Haynes manual and I am not seeing anything. Is there another name for it? And is it the device below the master cylinder reservoir?

There is a pic of the proportioning valve here in my thread where i was troubleshooting my rear brake no fluid problem.

http://www.ramforum.com/threads/brakes-no-fluid-to-rear.120487/

Link to Rock Auto, they also call it a proportioning valve..

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...27,brake+&+wheel+hub,proportioning+valve,1888

Mine is right next to the master cylinder

OP
OP
G

gbpxl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
There is a pic of the proportioning valve here in my thread where i was troubleshooting my rear brake no fluid problem.

http://www.ramforum.com/threads/brakes-no-fluid-to-rear.120487/

Link to Rock Auto, they also call it a proportioning valve..

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...27,brake+&+wheel+hub,proportioning+valve,1888

Mine is right next to the master cylinder
Did you have to "mess with the ABS module" like the dealership in this guy's thread supposedly would have had to? https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/319512-brake-proportioning-valve.html

OP
OP
G

gbpxl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
You plug the diagnostic computer in and follow the directions. The computer will activate the various valves etc. To bleed it properly.

The actual procedure differs by vehicle.

What kind of diagnostic computer? I have a basic scan tool that just reads and clears codes...

OP
OP
G

gbpxl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
I did not. Just replaced the proportion valve and bled the brakes as normal, everything working great.
I got the old propotioning valve seperated from its bracket but now I'm having trouble getting the new one on the old bracket. Also I accidently broke the tip off the yellow electrical plug that goes into the top of it. I did save the electrical plug off the new proportioning valve I found but the wiring is different. It's black and has two cables coming off it rather than one

I can't find any documentation on this thing whatsoever, nothing at O Reilly Auto Parts, haynes manual, Google, etc.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Try downloading the 2000 page repair manual, it’s definitely in there. There’s a link somewhere on this forum.

OP
OP
G

gbpxl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Been a long time but I solved my brakes issue in the Summer of 2018. I bought a replacement proportioning valve with master cylinder from a junkyard. This was a very hard part to find. I replaced it and attached new copper lines and now my brakes are in 100% working condition.

I thought Id update this just in case someone was having similar issues

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Glad to hear you got things fixed.