Trying to install Aftermarket LED/Halo Projector headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirLothar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
Hey guys, I have a 1999 Ram 1500 and am replacing the headlights. I bought a pair off walmart.com (I now see the error of my ways). https://www.walmart.com/ip/153983309 is a link to the ones I got. I removed the old headlights and started wiring the new ones. I watched a couple videos on how the wiring works, but i still cant get them to work right. Here is what I have done so far:

-Connected the main headlight plug.
-Using quick connects, spliced into the power and ground wires to the park lights, and wired the LED's to them (White and Black wires on new headlight). The LED's come on with the park lights.
-Tried to connect what I assume are the Halo wires to the park lights as well (red and black - there are two of each that come out of the headlight housing, they go into a small box attached to the housing, and then one of each comes out). When I attempt to connect them though, I blow the park light fuse.
-I also tried to connect the aforementioned (red and black) wires to the main light power wires (the ones going to the headlights) and that also blows a fuse.
-The inner headlight in each assembly comes on (there are two lights in each assembly) but when I turn on high beams everything goes very dim. The highbeam indicator on the dash stays on at all times (didn't do that before, high and low both worked fine prior).

So to sum up, I can't get the Halo's to work, I can't get my high beams to work, and I am pretty much at a loss. Anyone know what the heck is going on?

Edit: with the system that I have I think my problem is that I didn't use a HID relay harness. From anyone with experience in this, is that something that I need to upgrade my headlights?

Last edited:

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wiring issue somewhere. Sounds to me the highbeam wire is tied into something elses source like the halo. Start over, as there is an issue on the wiring side.

OP
OP
S

SirLothar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
Even though my old headlights work on both high beam and low beam? I figured the issue could be that the new lights are drawing too much power (i.e. they have a higher wattage/amp drain than my old ones) but I am not sure exactly how to find that. There is nothing on the bulbs to tell me that i could find, and a cursory inspection of the vehicles wiring did not show anything out of the ordinary.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Still dual filament single bulb. The duals will pull more power but you still have a wiring issue somewhere. Are you sure you split the headlight harness correctly, as well the wiring for halos

OP
OP
S

SirLothar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
Using a voltmeter I checked the 3 wires in the headlight plug. One of them was ground (obviously) and of the other two, only one had power when lights were on, then when I turned on high beams both had power. I assumed that the one that had power with lights on was the main power wire, so i connected the Halo POS wire (red) to that one. I immediately blew a fuse though. Is that what you meant by splitting the headlight harness correctly?

OP
OP
S

SirLothar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
Also, the new bulbs are single filament, but I now have two bulbs.

jlbayes

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 & 1997
Engine
5.9l cummins
The China crap lights typically have the bulbs wired together. Your old lights working have nothing to do with the new ones not.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You have wires crossed. If I were there I could help more but you need to separate the stock headlight harness into 2 outputs for your new bulbs. First thing is first get the headlight and high beam bulbs to act proper then tackle the halos and turn signals. Ground your multi meter and find the hot for low beam, mark it, with the muleteer still ground t the chassis not the harness locate the high beam and mark it. Get those 2 bulbs wire up and working as they should. From there you can work on the halos which should be tapped into the running/parking lights not the headlight bulbs.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956