Turning radius way wider to left side?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OutkastBoss

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 and 2004
Engine
5.9L and 5.7L Hemi
Ok so I am new here and have mainly worked on my Jeep Xj that I have been modifying and working on myself for years. I have upgraded, modded, swapped and adjusted everything on that vehicle over the years so I know it well. And I learned all of this from searching and posting on an Xj forum, so I know the value of a good forum.

My dad worked in a chrysler assembly plant and our family has always had dodges and other Mopars. The old man has a 1970 super bee and a 73 Trailduster. I have a 1950 plymouth special deluxe and have had a few Rams. My older brother owns a small fleet of Rams for our company as well that I have done ball joints, tie rod ends, blower fans, and d-shaft U-joints on.

Now that you know where I'm coming from, on to the vehicle in question. I was chasing down vibes on my 1998 Ram 1500 quad cab, short bed with the 5.9 and 4x4.

I found that I had some play in the trackbar, and tie rod ends. I ordered a cheap setup on Ebay that replaced the entire steering setup and track bar.
I have swapped all of this on several Xj's so I figured, what could go wrong, right?

After swapping in the new trackbar and steering setup, I notice that I could not turn nearly as far to the left as I can to the right, all of a sudden. The steering wheel was also not straight. I figured I would getr an alignment and all would be well. I paid for an alignment and the only change I noticed is the steering wheel was straightened.

When I installed the new steering I made sure that the new pieces were adjusted as close to the same measurement as the old drag link/tie rod. Since picking it up I have remeasured and they seem to be the same length as the ones that came off. I measured to ensure the trackbar was the same length and it was as well.

I do not see any marks from them being adjusted with a pipe wrench at all and I am beginning to wonder if they only adjusted the steering center and nothing else.

With the wheels straight I measured off of the lca, the axle measures as center, so the trackbar should be the correct one.

To make sure I wasn't crazy I turned the wheels all the way to one side and the other and it is obvious that it turns way farther to the passenger side.

First I measured with the wheels turned to the drivers side I measured out from the lca again. On the drivers tire I measured 14.5" from lca to the outside corner of tire tread. On the passenger side I measured 16.5" to the inside corner of the tread. It was measured this way because of which outer tread is available to get a reliable measurement on depends on what way it is turned.

For comparison We turned the wheels all the way to the passenger side and measured. On the drivers side we got 18.5" to the inside tire edge and on the pass. side we got 10.5" to the outside edge of the tire.

I have done driveway alignment on my XJ before and on that car i can only adjust the toe with the tie rod adj. and then center the steering wheel with the draglink adjustment. I have done this and taken it to get checked on an alignment rack and only been off by a small amount. We usually set them to have a small amount of toe.

I noticed visually that when the hweels are tuned as straight as I can get them the tires toe outward, that doesn't seem right. I took a handle off of a broom and laid it sideways across the tire in the center of it and you can see that not only do they toe out but the right side is toed out more than the left.

The shop blamed it on the fact that I installed the steering and trackbar. I figured at worst I would get a call saying they had to remove a TRE because it was too far out of adjustment and needed moved. They claim it was aligned but I have no before and after numbers like my usual shop gives me.

He also suggested that I had removed the steering wheel or the pitman arm and not got them back on aligned properly. I have never removed either of those on this vehicle and this is a new problem since I did the Steering/trackbar swap.

Anyone have any Ideas or suggestions? I didn't have that hard of a time getting the parts on and off but like every other time I have removed a trackbar I had to push the body to get the axle center enough to get the bolt holes lined up for the hardware on both the trackbar and the steering components.

I have searched, now I have come here for ideas. If I can't figure something out I will take it to my usual shop that I trust and hopefully they can help.
I can't help but wonder if I took it there and got it aligned if it wouldn't be fine and then armed with my before and after numbers from the other shop I could seek a refund from this shop.

MoparMagic'00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
i believe the internal stops in the steering box are preventing it from going further.. now i want to disclose that what i suggest is that only a suggestion and I claim no responsibility if this is not a proper way to remedy said situation. with that being said I would take it into a reputable shop for another alignment. and tell them the problem and also ask for printouts.. if this was my truck and this was the only issue (steering radius) i would remove pitman arm with wheels centered, turn steering wheel til stop one way and count how far its turned, same with opposite side, and then return to center by dividing between the two... ie.. 2 1/2 turns to right and only 1 1/2 left go to 2 either side. now steering wheel should not be straight in this case and will need to visit the alignment rack again but this should remedy the problem. Hope this suggestion helps.

OP
OP
O

OutkastBoss

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 and 2004
Engine
5.9L and 5.7L Hemi
Thanks for the ideas, I will post up how it all pans out for people that search in the future.

If I have to I will pull the pitman arm and recenter the steering. I am confused as to how it happened but we will get it worked out.

MoparMagic'00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
to my knowledge the only way it wouldn't be centered would be if it was taken off before hand.. Good luck but and I wish someone with more knowledge would chip it.. sometimes what makes sense to me doesn't to anyone else haha

OP
OP
O

OutkastBoss

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 and 2004
Engine
5.9L and 5.7L Hemi
to my knowledge the only way it wouldn't be centered would be if it was taken off before hand.. Good luck but and I wish someone with more knowledge would chip it.. sometimes what makes sense to me doesn't to anyone else haha

They probably opted not to wade through my kind of lengthy OP. It is going to a reputable shop for a real alignment this time and hopefully that is it.

I got a few things done on it yesterday like welding the exhaust back together and swapping in a rear Driveshaft Ujoint.

It is almost in great shape now but it feels unsafe when you really need to turn left farther than a medium curve.

OP
OP
O

OutkastBoss

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 and 2004
Engine
5.9L and 5.7L Hemi
So apparently the top adjuster by the pitman arm that straightens the steering wheel was adjusted way off to one side where the steering would be straight but not centered on the steering boxes turning radius.

It ended up like this because the first shop did not do an alignment but instead just straitened the steering wheel thinking i would not notice. The toe was out so much they had to toe it in to get it to read for a starting measurement. I now have before and after alignments specs that show it wasn't aligned in the first place.

The new shop had never seen it off steering center like this before and was worried that when they aligned it properly and centered the steering radius that the steering wheel would not end up straight. I think they were concerned the steering wheel or pitman had been pulled and reset wrong or something was wrong internally with the steering box. I knew the pitman and steering wheel hadn't been removed so I had them try and get it all straight and it worked out.

I guess we haven't learned anything from this thread except that the top steering adjustment can be off so far that the steering wheel is straight but not centered on the steering radius. Oh yea and not to go to Midas In Arnold, Mo.

Thanks for the input, I am glad I have found a place to talk about our small fleet of Rams!

MoparMagic'00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
I am glad that you have found who not to go to and I appreciate the follow up reply. I have found this forum to be worth its weight in gold for info and ideas I wish you find the same.

OP
OP
O

OutkastBoss

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 and 2004
Engine
5.9L and 5.7L Hemi
From the looks of it this is the best place for Ram info!

I also wanted to mention something fopr people that search in the future. In the papers from the second shop I saw that the mechanic left a note. It said that he had to unhook and recenter the steering stabilizer, the guy at the front did not mention that. It was something I had not thought of but it coud have been set wrong and been a limiting factor as well.

Thanks again!

OP
OP
O

OutkastBoss

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 and 2004
Engine
5.9L and 5.7L Hemi
is the stabilizer aftermarket? maybe a double set up?

No just the regular old stock one a.f.a.i.k. , it is clamped on at one end. I know better than that but didn't think about it when it was thrown on by a friend that was helping wrench.

He must have had it mostly extended when it was reattached, so it couldn't extend far enough for the wheels to turn left all the way. I am now wondering if that wasn't the entire issue but since I didn't talk directly to the tech that worked on it, I am left with what the counter people told me and the not from the tech about the stabilizer .

I am saying it was both the steering wheel adjustment being so wildly off, the toe being so drastically off and the stabilizer being installed improperly by me. the last of which would have been caught and corrected had they actually done an alignment at the first shop.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
The first shop pooched the job hard. The steering stb would have indeed been a limiting factor, thing is most times if they are not installed right they will just get ripped off. As far as I know if it is clamped on one end it is NOT a factory stabilizer.

You might like to download the FSM from here on RF as it has lots of info in it that would have helped you through this problem.