Uconnect 5.0 TERRIBLE FM Reception

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wayneayo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey Guys,

I've searched online and it seems there are a lot of people with the same issue but I can't seem to find any solutions or help on this. The radio in my '13 Ram has pathetically bad FM reception. I tried checking the antenna mast to make sure it was tight. I've even purchased a new OEM mast and that didnt do anything. Does anyone know of a fix for this? Maybe there is a common problem in the radio or cable that is causing this for all of us?

Thanks a bunch for your help...I really do appreciate it!

lavallee58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hi, I own a 2013 Ram and have had nothing but problems with the FM reception. Dodge dealer changed the radio and two antenna masts and antenna cable. No change in reception. I took it upon myself to check it out.
Remove the glove box and panel underneath. Remove the door sill guard and you now have access to the coax connection radio to antenna. They use a cheap version of the Fakra smb connector. What I found is that the centre conductor did not fit into the centre plastic part that connects to the antenna. It was pushed aside so it was like the antenna was never there. Big changes in reception. I was online looking to replace with a better version of the smb connector. I am unable to find a 75 ohm impedance connector for RG59u, so I wonder if these are even the proper impedance connectors that the manufacturers use. All I see is 50 ohms impedance online. The improper impedance of connectors can affect weak signal stations and range.
Good luck

KPietriyk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As long as you only have one impedance change in the circuit, it won't really affect FM Broadcast reception in a vehicle. 50-75 ohms isn't that big of a change. If it were a transmitter, I'd be a little more concerned, but not much.

How the connector is installed will make much more difference in performance than whether it's 50 or 75 ohms.