Uconnect 8.4 & 8.4an update - 17.11.07

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RootPC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are all these newer updates OTA only? Or will they eventually be posted to the uConnect site?

I live in North Dakota which has virtually no Sprint coverage at all, so I'm permanently in 1X coverage. I read somewhere that OTA only works in 3G, is this true?

Zakimodo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My 2014 updated this weekend.

Unfortunately my radio now thinks that my cargo camera is my backup camera.(mind you my backup camera screen is in my rearview mirror) It doesn't see that I have a cargo camera any more.

Took it to the dealer as they thought they had a way to correct this issue. I now have to take it back so that they can work with Chrysler Engineering......

Red-R/T

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2014 updated yesterday. Today I had to recalibrate my NAV system and all of my favorite places are gone. Also, all of my preset radio stations are gone. I have to search all of them out and reset them.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
My 2014 updated this weekend.

Unfortunately my radio now thinks that my cargo camera is my backup camera.(mind you my backup camera screen is in my rearview mirror) It doesn't see that I have a cargo camera any more.

Took it to the dealer as they thought they had a way to correct this issue. I now have to take it back so that they can work with Chrysler Engineering......
Your have to swap the 2 camera inputs at the back of the 14 radio because the SW update made the inputs match the 16/17 radio inputs. See the following for a detailed explanation ...
762-MM'S :
Uconnect 17.11.17 & RAMs with Cargo & Rear Cameras in Separate Displays

M² Mods - From my non Flammable S7!

Last edited:

Jarhead57

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 4x4 CC Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2014 updated yesterday. Today I had to recalibrate my NAV system and all of my favorite places are gone. Also, all of my preset radio stations are gone. I have to search all of them out and reset them.

Wow, didn't lose anything on mine....worked perfect.

Zakimodo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Your have to swap the 2 camera inputs at the back of the 14 radio because the SW update made the inputs match the 16/17 radio inputs. See the following for a detailed explanation ...
762-MM'S :
Uconnect 17.11.17 & RAMs with Cargo & Rear Cameras in Separate Displays

Thanks Mpgrimm2

I have some twists to the plot that I think you all will be interested to hear about.

I went ahead and took my pickup to the shop (had a TPMS update I needed to get done anyway). Amred with the above information i fuly expected the dealer to call me back telling me that they had to re wire the radio.

The dealer calls me to tell me that the hard drive on my radio has failed and thay they would need to replace it (at the tune of $740). Working for a tech company my self, I am all to familiar with Hardware and software failures. And am not totally bought in on the asusmption that the radio is bad. I asked the service writer how the OTA could have cuased the hard drive to fail (and that I am not paying for a radio that isnt broke), reminding him that everything worked fine pre update. He agreed that it did seem to be to coincidental and suggested that I call Chrysler customer service.

This is where things get interesting. I call Chrysler and let them know what the current situation is. To my suprise the lady on the phone says "no, the radio is fine, we released a patch last week that will fix everything". She contined to explain how the OTA had caused alot of issues for certain pickups and that customers would probably see it on the Uconnect site in the next week.

So, I will give it a week to see if this "patch" makes its way to the uconect page. If not I will likley just re wire the radio and move on with life.

UPDATE: Picked up the pickup from the dealer last night. Service writer did some research and said that there is for sure a new firmware build on its way. He thought it might be showing as early as the next 2 or 3 days (I wonder if the current OTA has been suspended to be replaced with this new patch). He also tells me that they didn't do the TPMS update as the new firmware would contain upgrades for that system as well. Sounds like more than just your radio can get upgraded via an OTA.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
To my surprise the lady on the phone says "no, the radio is fine, we released a patch last week that will fix everything". She contined to explain how the OTA had caused alot of issues for certain pickups and that customers would probably see it on the Uconnect site in the next week.

So, I will give it a week to see if this "patch" makes its way to the uconect page. If not I will likley just re wire the radio and move on with life.

Thanks for the heads up. I can't believe the dealer had no idea about this and wanted you to buy a new radio. JK, it sometimes takes a while for things to get pushed back down from the top after it's reported.

Now we'll have to see if the few folks who swapped their radio inputs around have to swap them back after the patch now.

Last edited:

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Still waiting on mine, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I hope this **** fixes bluetooth. Since my Pixel XL's last update I don't get any song info on the headunit when streaming over bluetooth. It worked perfectly until the phone update. Tried re-pairing, resetting the headunit, nothing works to fix it.

Still no update on my '17 either.

reb0957

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
I hope this **** fixes bluetooth. Since my Pixel XL's last update I don't get any song info on the headunit when streaming over bluetooth. It worked perfectly until the phone update. Tried re-pairing, resetting the headunit, nothing works to fix it.

Still no update on my '17 either.
I notice if I open the app on the phone the song or podcast shows up but it doesn't update in real time. Pandora, Amazon music, & and an app called castbox.
1. Mopar just doesn't have the tech team to keep up with Android. Even if they do 75% of Android phones aren't on the latest 2 updates. So what works for Android 8.0 may not work for 50% of other lower Android updates.
2. Even Iphone won't license Uconnect to do certain things.
3. There has to be a way they can get current Uconnect to operate at least parts of Android Auto. That way I don;t have to deal with Uconnect services any more.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I notice if I open the app on the phone the song or podcast shows up but it doesn't update in real time. Pandora, Amazon music, & and an app called castbox.
1. Mopar just doesn't have the tech team to keep up with Android. Even if they do 75% of Android phones aren't on the latest 2 updates. So what works for Android 8.0 may not work for 50% of other lower Android updates.
2. Even Iphone won't license Uconnect to do certain things.
3. There has to be a way they can get current Uconnect to operate at least parts of Android Auto. That way I don;t have to deal with Uconnect services any more.

With how the new trucks are looking - I am just going to wait until I can pickup a CarPlay radio for $700-$800 and replace the 8.4 in mine. I might keep this thing longer than anything else I have owned.

bulldogx03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Heads up, the VIN for my 2013 8.4AN is now showing the update as being available for download via the UConnect site. Those still waiting may want to check the site for a manual update.

doublestack1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Heads up, the VIN for my 2013 8.4AN is now showing the update as being available for download via the UConnect site. Those still waiting may want to check the site for a manual update.

Glad to see they posted the update online.

Which USB port do I plug the drive into? The one that has a cover labeled USB or the USB port next to the aux port?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sawz

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was prompted for the update on my 2015 RAM 1500 yesterday. I ran the over the air update and all is good that I've noticed so far. AND, it did not reset any of my presets. All settings were retained as was my phone pairing.