Uconnect RA2 to RA4 upgrade assistance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Rceagle, first why the two step upgrade? I did that but at the time had no intention of going with the 8.4 as I was under the impression it was not possible, when in fact it is. Also why the 8.4A RA3, The 8.4AN gives you nav and HD radio and can be had for pretty close to the same price.

As far as what you will need: For the 8.4 you will need the steering wheel controls, not required for the 5.0 but still a nice thing to have. Another nice to have is the upgraded Evic switch for the VR and phone buttons. That is pretty much it. Oh since you had the 3.0, your truck likely did not come with the overhead console and the compass module, while this is not necessary its another nice to have. There currently is a issue with the compass on the 5.0 as the last uconnect update disables it-see forum for "NO SIGNAL" compass. The main obstacle you will have is obtaining and or fabbing a harness for this as you likely do not have one in your truck. The final obstacle you will have is you will likely not have a harness for the mirror either, my parts guy was able to figure that out for me and I had to replace the harness for my clearance lights running throught the passenger side a pillar. I have a 3500 DRW ST regular cab your truck may require a different harness, I suppose you could just wire in an aftermarket mic into the back of the radio "pins 29 (-) and 30(+)".

rceagle1a

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ok long story short. Reason for two-step upgrade was I had bought a different cluster and it ended up not working with my tire pressure monitor so swapped it with an Ra3 radio.this was after I had bought the 5.0 radio so I will be selling my 5.0 after I get upgrade parts to install Bluetooth mic and steering wheel controls for 8.4. I searched for the site to look at wiring etc.. but can't find it.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
The cluster did not work with tire pressure? I am getting ready to upgrade my cluster. Can you explain this problem, what was the problem and why? What trim and cab type do you have?

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The cluster did not work with tire pressure? I am getting ready to upgrade my cluster. Can you explain this problem, what was the problem and why? What trim and cab type do you have?

He didn't have any success getting my cluster to work with his TPMS sensors. I had no trouble with it finding mine but I have a 2014 and the cluster is from a 2014 as well.

Sent from Skynet terminal 142a5

freezie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.4 hemi
plug came today and i put it in , i haven't been in the truck yet to see if it has solved the issue , i will tell more on that when i know more. It honestly looked like they just took a factory plug and cut the wire , it is heat shrunk , but it sure didn't look like there was a resistor or anything in there.

plug.jpg

nyciti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just read this whole thread and still no answer to my question. I am upgrading my radio from a 3.0 originally to a 5.0 and finally to a 8.4 ra3. What do I need to buy other than the mirror to add my bluetooth mic?

So it depends, if you have the mirror with the backup camera screen in it, then you will need to figure out the connector since they are different. If you have the normal mirror than you should be good to go. I believe the wire is present for the mics regardless of trim. Just the plugs are different.

For example I have the mirror with screen w/3.0 and my mirror has the wires for the mic's going to my radio.

freezie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.4 hemi
well i can confirm that my 911 error is gone now , just by adding the pigtail.

freezie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have no idea . It looks like they just took a cable and clipped it .but it works .

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Nyciti that is not correct if the truck came with the 3.0 radio and the tailgate cam the mirror would have video like yours, which is part of that particular addon package. If it did not have the tailgate cam then the mirror would not have a mic and would be manual dimming further there will be no overhead harness installed in the truck for it.

Last edited:

nyciti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nyciti that is not correct if the truck came with the 3.0 radio and the tailgate cam the mirror would have video like yours, which is part of that particular addon package. If it did not have the tailgate cam then the mirror would not have a mic and would be manual dimming further there will be no overhead harness installed in the truck for it.

Interesting, thanks for the correction.... Well FYI either way the pigtail is different. So if you have the video in rear view mirror you will have to deal with that. But you will also have the wires for mic there in the harness of that mirror. I have a 2013 ram express with just the 3.0 radio.

OP
OP
A

aqualite75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After reading and re-reading for all of this to soak in I have two questions.

1) rherman1: Is there a part number for the 911 mirror?
2) cptwing: Did you have to run the jumper cable when you installed the shark fin antenna?

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
After reading and re-reading for all of this to soak in I have two questions.

1) rherman1: Is there a part number for the 911 mirror?
2) cptwing: Did you have to run the jumper cable when you installed the shark fin antenna?

I bought the mirror off of carparts.com But I will check for a part # for it.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Not really a jumper, I replaced the two original cables (single lead) with the replacement cables (dual lead) I listed in a previous post. I have regular cab, the cables for other cabs are different.

Last edited:

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Ok, I have some questions about the behavior of this unit. When I first installed it the radio did not turn on when using the remote start until I physically opened a door, whereas the 5.0 would play as soon as the truck was started. I have since installed RAX jail-breaker silver and now when I use the remote start the back up camera activates on remote startup, and will stay on until I either touch the screen or put the fob in the ignition and turn it to run. I should note that the radio did and still does a normal boot up when I start the truck normally.

I also installed the auto dimming mirror with the assist / 911 buttons, I am not sure if the auto-dimming is working. I have noticed that on screen shots of the radio on the web that in the controls function there is a incon for the auto dimming feature, prior to installing the RAX I did not even have the controls function, now I do but it only has the cargo cam icon which is what I was after anyway.

The below pic is jeepguy's post when he added the cargo cam, notice the mirror dimming icon?

withautodimnotmine.png

This is mine

minewithcargocambutton.jpg

I, thinking there may be a sales code required here, as you know the mic and phone buttons function fine. Any insight here, is there a sales code has anyone added it?

FYI jeep-guys truck came with the 8.4AN. And I must say the OEM boys did a great job on the bezel, just feel sexually violated by the price.

And one other item that has me wondering, were any of you able to retain the factory apps? IE slacker, I heart radio, ETC?? And before someone comments, I have the shark fin antenna being painted at the dealer to match the truck that is why I have no embedded cell signal.

Last edited:

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Does anyone know a way to get into the engineering mode, with out the 8.4 hvac controls? Or how to reset the radio back to factory default?

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
Ok, I have some questions about the behavior of this unit. When I first installed it the radio did not turn on when using the remote start until I physically opened a door, whereas the 5.0 would play as soon as the truck was started. I have since installed RAX jail-breaker silver and now when I use the remote start the back up camera activates on remote startup, and will stay on until I either touch the screen or put the fob in the ignition and turn it to run. I should note that the radio did and still does a normal boot up when I start the truck normally.

I also installed the auto dimming mirror with the assist / 911 buttons, I am not sure if the auto-dimming is working. I have noticed that on screen shots of the radio on the web that in the controls function there is a incon for the auto dimming feature, prior to installing the RAX I did not even have the controls function, now I do but it only has the cargo cam icon which is what I was after anyway.

The below pic is jeepguy's post when he added the cargo cam, notice the mirror dimming icon?

View attachment 43235

This is mine

View attachment 43236

I, thinking there may be a sales code required here, as you know the mic and phone buttons function fine. Any insight here, is there a sales code has anyone added it?

FYI jeep-guys truck came with the 8.4AN. And I must say the OEM boys did a great job on the bezel, just feel sexually violated by the price.

And one other item that has me wondering, were any of you able to retain the factory apps? IE slacker, I heart radio, ETC?? And before someone comments, I have the shark fin antenna being painted at the dealer to match the truck that is why I have no embedded cell signal.

Was the mirror installed before you flashed the RAX?

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Yes , the mirror was in prior to RAX, I actually installed the mirror for the RA2, which I originally upgraded to because at the time I did not know I could upgrade to the RA4. (my truck came with the RA1) What I want to know is if I have the GN5 code will the autodimming function show up in the controls panel, and is the auto dimming function working on the mirror? The phone assist buttons work and the microphone works just not sure about auto-dimming.

Does anyone else who added the mirror have this button in the control panel, most of you like do not have the control button, I did not until I added the jailbreak and installed the cargo cam.

Last edited:

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
Yes , the mirror was in prior to RAX, I actually installed the mirror for the RA2, which I originally upgraded to because at the time I did not know I could upgrade to the RA4. (my truck came with the RA1) What I want to know is if I have the GNK code will the autodimming function show up in the controls panel, and is the auto dimming function working on the mirror? The phone assist buttons work and the microphone works just not sure about auto-dimming.

Does anyone else who added the mirror have this button in the control panel, most of you like do not have the control button, I did not until I added the jailbreak and installed the cargo cam.

I added the mirror yesterday, and do not have a control button. Gonna try reflashing the radio with the factory firmware again and see if it kicks it to pick it up.

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
I added the sharkfin and jumper cable and the body cable, no more 911/service vehicle phone message or red light on the mirror!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01