Unplug your battery!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I couldn't get my stock tires to spin with T/C shut off...unplugged the battery for about a half an hour, went to go from a red light afterwards and chirpped them on accident...and that was with my Toyo Open Country A/T II's!!! It was like I woke my truck up...

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
yea because the truck learns your driving style if you always drive slow and when you disconnect it you reset that

2serious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Doing this when I get home. Haven't since I put the sonnax in

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
It's funny that cars now "learn" your driving style. I would much rather learn my truck's "operating" style, and adapt my driving as I want too lol.

jefferson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anybody know if there is a fuse pull for this? Be easier I would think.

GoldDot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've heard if you pull the abs fuse it removes traction control also. Never tried it myself personally. Resetting the ecu by disconnecting the battery is a waste of time and pointless IMO.

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You can pull a fuse that will disable traction control and abs but it will not have the same effect that disconnecting the battery does

Appauldd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The reason you have to wait is to allow the capacitors in the ECU to discharge. If the truck was equipped with a standard key you would simply disconnect the battery and attempt to start the truck. This would suck the capacitors dry quickly. Unfortunately with the FOB key you would have it end up stuck in the dash if you try this. I think it would releases once you reconnect the battery....but I am really not sure.

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yea if the battery is dead or disconnected the key fob will get stuck till you reconnect it

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Or pull your PCM fuse for about 30 seconds works as well.

It resets the adaptives in your PCM. Then go drive like hell for a while. Problem is the adaptives being...well...adaptive, it learns the everyday driving parameters, not just the one time go like hell blast you did.

So basically, the truck will "dumb down" a bit and return to "normal" or what is normal for your routine driving style.

One way to fix this permanently is to add a programmer.