Upgrade Alpine audio questions..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Thats pretty neat, I wonder how loud it can get? I know that sub can handle more than 200watts

As it is now, you wont be able to see out of the rearview mirror :)

Designflaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 CC Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah whats the deal with the rear view sagging? I'm constantly having to adjust mine.

I don't think anyone has come up with a good answer other than its to heavy for the way its mounted. I thought I was crazy till someone posted then it turned out it happens to just about everyone :favorites25:

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
Mine doesn't move and it also has my radar detector attached to it with a Blendmount.
Crap like that happens because of vibrations....if you want it to stop...kill the vibrations. Deaden the cab...solve the issue.
I run a JL 12W6v3 with 990 clean watts going to it in a single cab truck...if any mirror should vibrate it should be mine.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hahahaha ^^^^ this is so true mine isn't moving yet but I forsee it loosening up if I don't deaden my roof.

OP
OP
BIGBLACKHEMI

BIGBLACKHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd start with an Audio Control LC6i to interface with the oem head unit. From there it's wide open as to what amps, speakers and subs you run. The LC6i will do everything you need and then some though as far as hooking it all up.
If you're not going nuts though...I'd honestly grab a used JL Slash 500/5 off ebay and run it all on one amp.

I'm just looking to replace dash and door speakers amp them up and replace the factory sub with something decent like a jl sub I have been looking at Audio Control for a while just doing some more research on this stuff..

VdubBry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I just finished up my build. I have the 8.4a but no alpine system. I ended up doing the JL Audio CleanSweep to clean up the signal, then did an Alpind PDX V9 which gets me 100x4 for the door speakers and 500x1 for the sub.

I have a JL 10w3v3 in a sealed box under the rear passenger seat firing up and did the type R Alpine 6x9 in the front and a set of Mephis Audio 6x9 in the rear I had from my previous truck.

The system sounds amazing, plenty of volume, way more than stock. I definitely need to do some sound deadening now. The subwoofer sounds great too. I have a bit of a bass craving in me but I don't want to do a second sub since I love my under seat storage at least on one side for all my tools since I use the truck daily for work. It's definitely plenty but I may want a touch more in the future so may consider upgrading to a 12" w3.

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ Sounds very nice. I really wish I would have the 430N w/o Alpine. It would have saved a lot of hassle and money.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
VdubBry idk if you would gain any out put or at least audioable output stepping up to the 12" from the ten. I would look at stepping up drivers to like the W6 or look to other companies for a more effiecent driver.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
There will definitely be an increase in output...there's no replacement for displacement.

VdubBry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
VdubBry idk if you would gain any out put or at least audioable output stepping up to the 12" from the ten. I would look at stepping up drivers to like the W6 or look to other companies for a more effiecent driver.

I actually have a 10W6 in my "play" car, old VW GTI, it's running off a JL 500/1. That thing is bananas in that car, it makes my windshield wipers bounce and the roof flex haha.

I put it in the truck, it didn't sound as good as the W3 surprisingly. I don't know if it was the box air space or, if the W6 just doesn't like firing up.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I guess in my experience swtiching all I have ever gained is ability to hit lower easier. I will admit though switching usually ment going from a sub and box that where ment for each other to sub and cookie cutter box so that is probably were I was lacking with output. God I want another W6 again but my wife might kill me if I start redoing my parts list lol.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Placement and firing position can play a very large role in how the sub stages inside the vehicle. If you've ever played around by moving yourself around the inside of the truck while the sub is hitting you'll notice that it sounds less muddled and more bassy the further you are away from it. Sit in the driver seat and lean the seat all the way back. It'll sound like dog poop. Now lean as close to the windshield as possible and it'll sound a lot better.

Generally, unless the sub and box are tuned properly and you are not over-driving it you'll get good sound from everywhere in the vehicle. But it comes at the cost of dB's produced. Given the limited space we have for placement and box size it'll be hard to achieve loud and clear. It's almost better to go with a lower powered sub with a higher powered class D amp running lowered gain. Less clipping and you won't be amplifying the already crappy signal coming from the stock head.

SoCal Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI