Upgraded T-steering ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hero6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i have a 99 Ram 1500 4x4 5.9, lifted. I was told there is an upgraded T- steering i could go to moving away from the Y- steering. i am looking for the part numbers and a link to a setup that will direct bolt on for my particular truck. Anyone done this to their truck?

I have googled this, and read some setups require re-tapering of holes, don't want to do that, just looking for something that is a direct bolt on. I have also read some require grinding down one of the tie rod ends if you are running 16 inch rims (which I have) , i am ok with doing that, but i am confused about which one will actually work on a 1500.

Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hero6

Hero6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, not much feedback here.....after inspecting some more, it looks like a good part of my steering problems are being caused by a weak steering shaft u-joint. I ordered a new steering shaft and a steering stabilizer bar for the steering shaft, should be here in about a week, will update the results if anyone is interested.

Still interested in changing from the Y steering to the T steering setup though.

Reactions: Mop

kyle watson

Reaction score
Ram Year
96 ram 1500
Engine
5.9L
you want the linkage for the 99 3500. it will just bolt right in. done it with my 96 1500!
just the 2000 has a bigger tapper end for the upper drag link to pitman arm connection.
1500 the 99 should be just fine!

Gary krk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The kit you posted off Amazon is just a replacement parts set for the inverted Y steering. I have done the inverted T on my 03 2500, as well as alot of other front end upgrades. If you're looking to get rid of death wobble.. It's a process, know there exists an upgrade kit for the older trucks, just don't remember it offhand. If you'd like, I will recheck all my stuff, and give you any info I can.

OP
OP
Hero6

Hero6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks Gary, I did fix my immediate steering issue by replacing the steering shaft, the u-joints were shot, also added a steering box stabilizer that bolts to the frame under the sway bar. This all seemed to fix the major steering issue I was having. I have my engine out now for a rebuild, but once I get it back on the road, I would be interested in upgrading the rest of the steering, if you have any info that would be great.

kyle watson

Reaction score
Ram Year
96 ram 1500
Engine
5.9L
the 03 kit will not work. the 3rd gen trucks run a 9 1/4 front axle.
you need the 98 99 350 fleet grade T STEERING!