Upgrading my brakes, advice please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am going to upgrade my brakes, fronts first then rears, full kits (as in rotors, calipers and pads.) I want slotted rotors for a little better performance (not interested in drilled really) and also ceramic pads or some kind that will greatly reduce brake dust. What im hoping for here is some advice on a brand/kit that is reasonably priced and a good quality product. Doesnt need to be dirt cheap lol i do want a quality product, just dont tell me a 2,500 brembo big brake kit either lol. Im hoping i can find a solid kit for around the 700ish range front and rear or 350ish for fronts. Ive seen multiple kits for around this $ but know nothing about any of them so was hoping for some peeps here who know more then me on this subject to chime in :happy107: Cheers!

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Warning: incoming craziness haha

This is something I literally just stumbled upon last night while I was reading around on the forums. I don’t know if you want to go for something this crazy, but apparently people have swapped out the air vacuum brake canister with the hydro boost system from the diesel truck. It runs the brakes off of the power steering pump and supposedly gives you rock solid braking. I literally just got back from a junkyard where I picked up a unit for $65. I’ll have it posted on my build when I have it swapped over. I can show you the original threads and a video I watched last night that goes into more detail if you’re interested. Again, I haven’t tested it out personally, but every thread I’ve read where people have done it they say they love it. I will know for myself in a few weeks. 7f8bc97ef88c56fcbbed456e308bee87.jpg

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yup, the hydro-boost is the best-bang-for-your-buck brake upgrade you can ever do. I have not done it myself but want to. It also makes changing the drivers side rear plugs WAY easier.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well im definitely interested, but still wont solve my brake dust issue, and i actually need new calipers in the front for sure

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Yup, the hydro-boost is the best-bang-for-your-buck brake upgrade you can ever do. I have not done it myself but want to. It also makes changing the drivers side rear plugs WAY easier.

Yeah I forgot to mention that, I can’t wait to get that huge vacuum canister outta there!

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
As for a brake suggestion, I have Duralast Gold ceramic pads and rotors on mine and they do pretty well. Nothing fancy but my truck stops good. I don’t know how much dust they create because I have black rims

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
cool ill look into those, i am looking for reducing brake dust 1st priority with performance 2nd as i dont race or tow or anything so dont need a crazy brake setup lol just figured since i have to replace calipers AND i have a huge brake dust problem with my rims showing every spec, i wanna reduce the dust as much as possible...... and while im at it why not throw in some slotted rotors for a little added performance lol ya know, mod addict problems :anitoof:

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I dunno, I did my SRT upgrade for about what a complete hydroboost setup costs lol

picture.php

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My brakes are failing EXTREMELY fast, like I have to retire the truck until my brakes arrive kuz I'm afraid my calipers are gunna lock up... soooo lol I went with these, got the full set of 4 off rockauto.com with CF infused cer. Pads. 828b4dadc121593e2c474c70342c3bbe.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That's dope

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Thanks. Have the matching ones back aft too...they work really well. The rears came with the Dana, so that was quite a bit more expensive lol

picture.php

How did you do it that cheap?

This was back in 2010. Guy on ebay had that set of calipers listed incorrectly as 04's and not 05-06's that they are. No one wanted them, think I got them brand new for $200 (basically half the price of a new caliper). He said his SRT truck burned to the ground, so I asked if he had anything left. He still had the spindles, got those for like $200-250 for the pair.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
This was back in 2010. Guy on ebay had that set of calipers listed incorrectly as 04's and not 05-06's that they are. No one wanted them, think I got them brand new for $200 (basically half the price of a new caliper). He said his SRT truck burned to the ground, so I asked if he had anything left. He still had the spindles, got those for like $200-250 for the pair.

Awesome. I love catching great deals like that. I’m constantly scanning craigslist looking for people parting it trucks. I’m about to go pick up a used tranny for cheap this weekend from Craigslist

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Awesome. I love catching great deals like that. I’m constantly scanning craigslist looking for people parting it trucks. I’m about to go pick up a used tranny for cheap this weekend from Craigslist

Took me awhile and alot of patience catching some of these deals lol...I don't think you can get an SRT D60 for less than a grand nowadays...spindles are nonexistent...it's like trying to find 4.7 HO cams.