Upper Glove Box Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trmat79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK guys I am new here, but a few months ago I bought a 2012 Ram 1500 Express 4X4 and the first thing I wanted to do was utilize the upper glove box and the Uconnect USB plug for my ipod. Here is my how-to:

First the parts:
4565022: Switch – glove box
1NM00BD3AA – Door – glove box
68050731AA – striker – glove box
1SF291DVAC – glove box
And some tools you’ll need:
Screwdriver (with some small screws)
7mm socket and driver
Trim Removal Tool (highly recommended to not scratch your dash)

The Beginning

Step One: Remove lower glove box by opening and pushing in on sides.
1.jpg

Step Two: Unscrew upper glove box screw:
2.jpg

Step Three: Use trim removal tool to take out upper box
3.jpg
Step four: Line up upper box door and screw in place. This will take some time. I recommend taking a good look at how it lines up and take your time in order to not break anything.
4.jpg

Step Five: Install light and latch

5.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
trmat79

trmat79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Step Six: Find UConnect and light plugs in the dash and hook them up. I highly recommend hooking up the light first then the USB.
6.jpg

Step Seven: Put lower box in place and screw in place.
7.jpg

Step Eight: Step back and enjoy the professional job you just did.

That is about all I've got you for guys. Maybe I just wasted an hour posting this and someone has done it before but I couldn't find it. Anyway love my Ram and this website rocks so I figured I'd give a little something back.

Todd

6.jpg

7.jpg

Goon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That looks great, how much did it run you for the parts? Where did you get them?

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
nice write up

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Very nice write up.

Still not sold I would rather have an enclosed unit over there.

I do wish there was a lip on the front to hold crap in better under 'hemi acceleration'

I'm confused, this mod makes it enclosed just like an slt

OP
OP
trmat79

trmat79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That looks great, how much did it run you for the parts? Where did you get them?

Parts were about $200 and I got them online. Hmm let me remember. Mopar parts online maybe. I just google searched the part numbers

OP
OP
trmat79

trmat79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Very nice write up.

Still not sold I would rather have an enclosed unit over there.

I do wish there was a lip on the front to hold crap in better under 'hemi acceleration'

I hear ya. As soon as I did it I was very happy for two reasons. First more storage that is out of sight of curious eyes and second the USB cable hookup for the iPod.

OP
OP
trmat79

trmat79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I haven't seen the inside of an SLT but the express had an open space up there and this just gives you more enclosed space

Stroked

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I think Greg was saying he wishes the Express cubby hole had a lip on the front. I also agree, I'm not sure the glove box is worth switching to for me. I really like the cubby hole.

Skyjockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock 4x4
Engine
3.6L
Awesome info !!
This is something I have wanted to do since I bought mine as well. Not sure the price is justified right now but maybe I can get the parts in a salvage yard.
Thanks for taking the time to write this up

OP
OP
trmat79

trmat79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome info !!
This is something I have wanted to do since I bought mine as well. Not sure the price is justified right now but maybe I can get the parts in a salvage yard.
Thanks for taking the time to write this up

Thanks for the kind words. To me I justified the price because i wanted more storage that I could close and keep people looking into my truck from seeing. Also since I had uconnect it allowed me to hook up my ipod in the upper glove box and run it through my radio.

brynm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 SXT
Engine
5.7 Hemi
is there any way to enlarge the pics? even if I click on them they stay an inch square.

Edit: also what do you need to bring the ipod conection out if you just have the cubby? Or is it just something that is in the glove box?

Yet another edit: can you control the ipod through the HU?

Last edited:
OP
OP
trmat79

trmat79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry guys I don't know why the pics are acting up. I'm still in the process of trying to find the originals. Well the iPod connection was zip tied to a post back there. I am sure you can route it out some how but there isn't a ton of cord. Really just enough to hook it to the back of the new glove box. And yes you can operate your iPod through your radio. Assuming you have the right radio and unconnect I believe

mallomm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is the ipod connection that connects to the glove box a standard USB or is it differant? All im seeing when I look up there is a black and red plug that is taped up there. I have uconnect, unless the USB cord is hard to find.

DepsilonD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is the ipod connection that connects to the glove box a standard USB or is it differant? All im seeing when I look up there is a black and red plug that is taped up there. I have uconnect, unless the USB cord is hard to find.

That red and black plug is the USB port. It is a standard size USB. I added the second glove box to my 2012 Express on Friday. The plug for the light was easy to find, but I had to reach my hand up to the head unit and blindly trace the wires to find the USB port which was taped behind the harness that runs behind the glove box.

WillisRanches

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Great write up! I do wish the pictures were a bit bigger. I might have to do this to my dads. He puts a lot of stuff in that cubby and I am sure they will fall out.

OP
OP
trmat79

trmat79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great write up! I do wish the pictures were a bit bigger. I might have to do this to my dads. He puts a lot of stuff in that cubby and I am sure they will fall out.

yeah sorry i don't know what happened to the pics. I have since deleted them from my computer but if there is anyway I can help shoot me a PM

DVS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That red and black plug is the USB port. It is a standard size USB. I added the second glove box to my 2012 Express on Friday. The plug for the light was easy to find, but I had to reach my hand up to the head unit and blindly trace the wires to find the USB port which was taped behind the harness that runs behind the glove box.

So if you just wanted the USB plug, can you just get a standard USB cable and plug it into the red and black plug in the back with the front of the cable accessible from in front of the dash?