Urgent! Deciding on a used Dodge Ram 3500. Is this bad damage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottkeen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Hi, I'm new here. I looked at a 2007.5 3500 today. I took this pic underneath, looking for rust. I'm looking to make a decision to buy/no-buy on this one.

Is this bad?
My friend said "that mount is cracked where the rust is" and "too much rust" and "run away from buying this!"

Is he right? What do you say?

IMG_20170801_122634_rs.jpgIMG_20170801_122616_rs.jpgIMG_20170801_122323_rs.jpg

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
Looks like been rode hard and hung wet . I don't know where you live way too much rust what does the body look like?

OP
OP
S

scottkeen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Body is cherry condition. Interior is cherry condition. He said he used it to take the boat in and out of the lake. He said never used as a plow.

2007.5 with 82,000 miles

Rural Pennsylvania truck.

IMG_20170801_122835_rs.jpgIMG_20170801_122843_rs.jpgIMG_20170801_122904_rs.jpgIMG_20170801_122919_rs.jpgIMG_20170801_122930_rs.jpg

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would be scared that rust and cracked mount worries me .The bottom is rusty as heck.Something the engine will out last the truck and the engine ain't broke end yet.With that much rust he has done more than pull a boat.But the last call is on you.I would have everything checked out by a mechanic .I'm hear in Georgia I never seen that much rust on that new a model truck .He must not washed the crap out from under the truck like mud and road salt.Where I live we don't get much snow two days is about it and it's gone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

scottkeen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Thank you. If it's "surface rust" then probably not a big deal. Replacing the rusty skid plate, not a problem. But there's some pitting it looks like in the other areas.

My friend is assuming the mount is cracked. He only saw the photos you see here. I can't tell unless maybe if someone grinded down the rust to see what's going on.

The photo with the skid plate looks the scariest?

If this was a plow truck, then I would assume the bed would be all rusted out (from carrying salt), but is just scuffed and a few dents.

The underside is rusted, no doubt.

It's a 2007.5 Laramie with 82K miles. They're asking $24K which is KBB.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would have those mounts checked out and get them rewelded .The truck looks good it really does but from the pictures like you said it is really hard to tell.I will go for it but before I put money out on the safe side get it checked out .Good luck and May God Bless.

OP
OP
S

scottkeen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I would have those mounts checked out and get them rewelded .The truck looks good it really does but from the pictures like you said it is really hard to tell.I will go for it but before I put money out on the safe side get it checked out .Good luck and May God Bless.

The truck is 2 states away, 260 miles roundtrip for me. I drove up there today to check it out.

I'm taking the photos to my local mechanic in Virginia to see what he thinks.

A friend in the towing business recommended as you did, to have it checked out. He said I should ask the seller to take the truck to the local shop where he got the tailgate replaced (the bottom corner of the tailgate was rusted out) and have them check it out and talk with me directly.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good luck to you.

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I think he not only towed the boat but loaded and unloaded it in water allot! With a 5th wheel hitch he towed a pretty big boat and that could mean the rear of the truck spent substantial time in the water - as testified to the fact that the tailgate had to be replaced.

I would be extremely cautious about this vehicle.

Mike

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
that goose-neck hitch says its all to me, half ass installation which usually means half assed care was taken for the truck, any vehicle can be polished and shampooed up to look new, but that truck has been used much harder than you are being told, id stay away from it

OP
OP
S

scottkeen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I think he not only towed the boat but loaded and unloaded it in water allot! With a 5th wheel hitch he towed a pretty big boat and that could mean the rear of the truck spent substantial time in the water - as testified to the fact that the tailgate had to be replaced.

I would be extremely cautious about this vehicle.

Mike

I think your assessment of the boat is spot-on. I did some research on the seller, found his old boat for sale (google'd his phone number).

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Demon you're right about the half assed install of the goose neck.

Mike

OP
OP
S

scottkeen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I just came back from my mechanic shop. I showed all the photos of the truck underside to the mechanic, the diesel mechanic, and the shop owner.

(edited for brevity)

My mechanic shop is trusted by me and I voiced my concerns and your concerns. They gave me their opinion. Now the decision is mine.

Thanks for all your help. It definitely made me stop and think and seek the advice of a trusted mechanic shop.

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Curious as to what your mechanic's opinion was?

I'd walk away from the truck personally.

OP
OP
S

scottkeen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I've been going to my local mechanic shop for years with my 2 other cars. They don't try and find things wrong just so they can get work. They look at issues I have questions about, and don't charge and don't "find" problems if there aren't any. I trust them completely and believe what they say. They talked me out of buying a Ford PowerStroke, too many issues. They run a good, honest business. Hard to find these days.

So I showed all the photos of the underside of the truck to the shop mechanic, the diesel mechanic (he said his first preference would be a 12-valve 5.9L Cummins), and their father the owner of the shop. They all looked it over, zoomed in on the photos.

They all said the same thing: "That's not that bad. Pretty normal for a Pennsylvania vehicle. I would have expected worse."

I asked about what looked like a crack from rust in the radius arm mount. They said, "It's surface rust and the crack is not a crack but a seam between the two halves of the mount" (it's true, I found a photo of an unrusted mount, it also has the same seam).

I asked, "If I get this truck then should we replace any rusted parts?"
They said "No, leave it alone. You don't need to spend money doing that."

I repeated at least 5 times, "Guys, if you tell me not to get this truck and keep looking, I'll do exactly that. I'm not committed to buying this truck. The price is good, the mileage is really low, it drives well and the body and interior are perfect. But if you tell me to pass and move on, I have no hesitation doing that. I bring my cars here, and I'll be bringing this truck here. YOU GUYS ARE BUYING INTO THIS WITH ME. IS ANYTHING, ANYTHING YOU SEE A DEAL-BREAKER?"

I tried hard -- I really tried many times -- to get them to tell me to pass on it. I went into their shop looking for them to confirm that despite the truck is beautiful, the rust is bad and I should pass on the truck.

The mechanics and the father who owns the shop all said, "I wouldn't pass on it. If you like it and it drives well, then get it. It's fine. I recommend that you get it."

I know it doesn't look good underneath, but I trust my mechanics. I appreciate everyone's advice to seek the trusted advice of my mechanic shop -- their answer wasn't what I was expecting. Thanks again, all!

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like more money/work coming their way lol :buffer:

It sounds like you have your decision made but judging the conditions of the truck by pictures is not really smart. If I were you and you are really insterested drive the mechanic up with you and have him inspect it then.

Good luck

OP
OP
S

scottkeen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Sounds like more money/work coming their way lol :buffer:

If that was true, they would have told me to get the F-350 PowerStroke 6.0L that I wanted!

I told the seller I'm going to do another inspection before I give him the check, and I'm bringing another person with me.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
that rust is all I had to see to say no thank you, 24k for corrosion is a lot.

Markcuda

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015-Laramie-1500-CC-4X4
Engine
One thing to ask yourself and nothin' else "how much life is left in this truck for 24 grand"
Nuff said.

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If that was true, they would have told me to get the F-350 PowerStroke 6.0L that I wanted!

I told the seller I'm going to do another inspection before I give him the check, and I'm bringing another person with me.

This is probably your best move. If you trust your mechanics, they of course, go with what they say. If you can get one of them to go with you for the second inspection, do it. Just purely going off the pics (and note that I live in CA so we don't have these kind of rust issues generally), I would personally pass on it. But an in person inspection might change my mind. Good luck with it either way. :favorites13: