Urgent! Deciding on a used Dodge Ram 3500. Is this bad damage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
The guys are right if you can see if you can get one of your mechanic friends to go with you and let him look it over? Because once the guy gets that check take in mind he is two states away he's done and there is not much you can do .Those pictures don't tell everything I'm not telling you not to get the truck just becareful.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Too much rust for that little mileage and definitely too high a price.

Walk away. I bet you could find a truck with more miles in better shape for cheaper.

OP
OP
S

scottkeen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Thanks for all your opinons!

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
that truck was driven in either salt water or most likely north in the salt belt in the winter. i would et a body shop to check out the undercarriage.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just suggest checking everything mechanical, and just verify that it is surface rust only. That all does (at least from the pictures) look like surface rust.

Over a couple weekends you can take care of all of that with some POR15 (Paint over rust), and you would never know it was there. As long as it all is surface rust and not structural.

Living in the NY area, any truck driven for as many years (don't matter about miles, it's number of winters where it is driven) in winters will have tons of rust. Remember this truck around 11 years old (so 11 PA winters, will do that to any truck).

OP
OP
S

scottkeen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Living in the NY area, any truck driven for as many years (don't matter about miles, it's number of winters where it is driven) in winters will have tons of rust. Remember this truck around 11 years old (so 11 PA winters, will do that to any truck).

I told the seller I'm doing a final inspection and bringing someone with me to check out the truck before I hand over the check, I said I want to make sure I'm getting what I want. He said that sounds good.

If there is structural damage or anything more than surface rust, I'm not buying it. But I'm not going to pass on a truck just because of surface rust.

Thanks for your opinion, especially from someone with experiece with snow/salt rust that we have in the mid-Atlantic to northeast states. I envy the guys in the states like TX, AZ, and CA who don't have these issues.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here are some pictures of my Jeep (sold now) that was 4-6 years old (pictures were over a few years). Now, I did wheel it, but you can see in these pictures areas that were not grinded off road still have rust. This jeep was structurally perfect:

tAz1J42.jpg
W5IIv7N.jpg
WhQZwnS.jpg

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
Had the ball joints and tie rod ends been replaced on that Jeep.Because I had a 03 Dakota I had to put all the ball joints that would make a preacher cuss drilling out the rivets to replace them was something.What I saw was grease fittings I thought Damnler/Chrysler the Germans wanted to cut cost and stop putting them on cars.I read that the Benz Autos when they got up in miles they sound like a old door hinge when you hit a bump.