USB power plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IMRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
On my 2017 limited, in the center consul with the USB power plug, whenever I plug my phone into it it charges but when I unplug it and plug it back in it will not charge. The only way I can make it resume charge is to unplug it from the USB port and plug it back in then it will start charging. I cannot unplug my phone while it’s charging and simply plug it back into the phone. It will not resume charging. But if I unplug it from the USB port in my center consul and plug it back in it like it resets it. I find it strange if I unplug it from my phone and replug it into my phone it will not start charging but if I unplug it from the USB power port and plug it back in- then it starts charging. It doesn’t matter if the vehicle is running or not it acts the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That was way too confusing.

Try a different cord.

What type of device is it?

OP
OP
I

IMRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Lol..... iPhone 7s

To make it more simple, when plugged in is charging, if I unplug it and replug it it won’t charge. The only way I can make it start charging again is to unplug from the USB port only. If I unplug from the phone and re-plugged into the phone it will not start charging. Weird. Yes I’m confused as well. I can try different cord but it works everywhere else.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If I remember correctly, Ram Cares responded about this iPhone charging issue. At the time they stated it was a known issue and the engineers are working on a solution.

zrfraser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Mine does the same thing (iPhone 6S). Get in the truck and plug in my phone, and it doesn't show charging. I then unplug the cable from the USB slot, and plug it back in and it works. Its just habit now to reach over and unplug/plug before I drive off.

OP
OP
I

IMRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Mine does the same thing (iPhone 6S). Get in the truck and plug in my phone, and it doesn't show charging. I then unplug the cable from the USB slot, and plug it back in and it works. Its just habit now to reach over and unplug/plug before I drive off.

Exactly. What I don’t understand is unplugging the phone for one versus unplugging it from the USB port shouldn’t make any difference. But mine does exactly the same thing, I’m sure I’ll get used to it but what a PITA.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
My understanding is that the USB port is meant as a media port vs a charging port. While it will work to charge, it's primary function was to be used to plug memory sticks in to for MP3 playing.

Cmsharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My truck does the same thing. It is annoying as hell.

firebuff17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My express does the same thing when I use the charge only plug in the lower dash.
Have a usb stick plugged into my arm rest media hub so I don’t recall if that one does the same.

OP
OP
I

IMRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My understanding is that the USB port is meant as a media port vs a charging port. While it will work to charge, it's primary function was to be used to plug memory sticks in to for MP3 playing.

There are ports for media and there are separate ports for charging. I’m talking about the charging ports as are the others. It may sound like nothing more than a inconvenience, but I do not like having to open my center consul and mess with my charger every time I want to plug in a device. Normally have to plug it in and out two or three times before it finally kicks on. I guess I will let the ram dealership and my warranty figure it out.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Is this a 2017 and newer thing? My USB port in my center console is a media port, they even call it a media hub. There is a 12v outlet in there as well, that's where my charger is.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Depending on the trim level, there may be just the USB media port or both a USB media port and a USB charging port in the upper part of the center console.
Being that the charging port has a low current output, I'll be installing a 12V outlet so I can use a high power quick charge.

OP
OP
I

IMRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Depending on the trim level, there may be just the USB media port or both a USB media port and a USB charging port in the upper part of the center console.
Being that the charging port has a low current output, I'll be installing a 12V outlet so I can use a high power quick charge.

I have a limited model. You are correct there are both media ports and charging ports in my center consul. It is the charging port that’s giving me fits. In my simple brain, I do not understand why unplugging the phone on the end of the charging cable at the phone would not do the same thing as unplugging it from the port. It will only restart charging again if I unplug and replug into the port. Sometimes it takes two or three times. I can unplug and plug in the phone indefinitely and it will not start charging again. Once charging, it will keep charging even if I shut the vehicle off, but as soon as I unplug it, it will not charge again until I remove from the port and reinstall.

tmond

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi
I ran into the same issue - dropped the truck off at the dealer and was told its a known issue with iphones, according to them its not an issue with android phones.