Using ATF4 transmission fluid in 8 speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Hi Guys,

*EDIT* i made a mistake and initially checked "estimate" not the final "invoice". The invoice does have correct fluid listed. So please ignore this thread :)

I just checked my receipt from the last maintenance service that I did at 50k miles, and it looks like my local mechanic used Mopar ATF4 transmission fluid to change the fluid in my 8 speed transmission.

The atf4 fluid is much cheaper than what I recall the 8 speed transmission recommended fluid. They charged me 7 quarts at $9 each.

So... Did I get the wrong fluid in the transmission? I got 75k miles now and transmission works well so far. Should I get it changed to recommended fluid?

Last edited:

TheRudeDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Long story short you have the wrong fluid!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Yes your mechanic used the wrong fluid and has probably ruined your trans.
If I remember correctly (and can find the post about it), someone did use ATF4 in their 8 speed and the clutch material disintegrated.

TheRudeDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On top of it did he swap out your pan (filter)?

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I would make him completely flush the system, put in the right fluid, & tell him if anything goes wrong with it you will be speaking with my lawyer. I really don't understand how things like this happen. I know not everybody has the means or know how, but yet another reason why I try to do as much of my own work as possible. On PM stuff you don't save much money but at least you know it is done right.

OP
OP
Kap1

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Does he really need to "flush" the system, meaning run some cleaning agent through it, or all of the fluid can be just drained and proper fluid refilled?

Damn... I got so unlucky with maintaining and repairing my truck, **** just goes wrong!

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think the best bet would be to completely drain and refill two or three times. "Power flush" and "automatic transmission" should never be used in the same thought or sentence, IMHO.

The problem with drain/refill is that most of the fluid doesnt stay in the pan, and thats the only way to get fluid out AFAIK, so you end up doing multiple pan drain and refill just to get 1 complete refill. And Im not sure but you should probably drive some miles in between each of those too. To do it right (aside from replacing the transmission) is going to be a PITA.

hoe...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A professional shop will have a unit that will totally flush the system and replace with the precise amount drained.

They aren't cheap so you will need to go to a larger shop.....

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Kap, just get the idiot to refund your money then do it yourself with the dyi flush. You have to drop the pan let drain, put it back- torque bolts, fill, and then purge old fluid, refilling while you do. He will minimize his mistake, don't settle for that. The transmission calls for PAO based fluid, the atf 4 likely starts too thick for the manu's spec, and then shears down towards the end of interval, both the things the manu's of the truck and transmission spec against. It is going to be an expensive change, check Ravenol I believe the cheapest pao that meets your spec.

Might opt for a pan swap.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Did Ram have the ZF 8spd in 2013 which is the 8hp70 or the 845RE?. Also what does your owners manual recommend?

damnimcooltom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That was 25,000 miles ago? While it sounds like he used the wrong fluid, it seems strange that you haven't experienced issues from it. There are some brands out there that claim to have some multi-vehicle fluids that are ZF 8 speed compatible, and are synthetic. Maybe that's what was used?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yes they did have the zf8 then, we have a couple guys with the 13 that got lucky.

You are looking for mopar zf-8-9 liquid, lifeguard zf-8, ravenol zf-8 fluid, I believe Amsoil may also have the fluid, but if you choose that let me know I will double check that on the spec sheet. It troubles me they don't commit to the pao base like all the others. Redline does make something close and likely will save you a ton of money and actually have equal to if not better fluid with the esters which is their d6 tranny fluid. If you want I will show you the spec Kap, if not stick with the Zf fluid.

From his 2013 owners manual...

Automatic Transmission — Eight-Speed Automatic We recommend you use MOPAR® ZF 8&9 Speed ATF™ Automatic Transmission Fluid. Automatic Transmission — Six-Speed Automatic with Gasoline Engine (For Diesel Engine see Diesel Supplement) We recommend you use

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I guess I should have read you post Kap, lol. You already put 25k miles, I doubt the guy will feel compelled to fix that mistake. Just change it yourself sometime this year. I'm doing mine as well.

Kap it was an honest mistake as you can see they had both options for the 2013.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
A professional shop will have a unit that will totally flush the system and replace with the precise amount drained.

They aren't cheap so you will need to go to a larger shop.....

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

^^^ Yes as he said^^^ With the cooler & all of the lines you could still have a fair amount of contaminated fluid in there if you don't have it done properly.

OP
OP
Kap1

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Thank you all for good advice!

I'm thinking that Maybe the mechanic did used some sort of Amsoil fluid maybe - they put Amsoil into front and rear differentials, and do have lots of Amsoil in stock.

However, he only charged me $9 per quart, 7 quarts total. Therefore, looks like this fluid was cheap... Which fluid could that be based on price?

We agreed not to do the filter and pan at that time.

Can Blackstone labs tell me which fluid is in there? It's also probably mixed up with fair amount of original fluid since I didn't change the filter...

I'm planning to politely put the mechanic on the spot and ask him in person what did he used... And watch to see if he'll try to lie or be honest. He's part owner as him and his brother own the shop and he worked on it himself.

OP
OP
Kap1

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Sorry guys, i made a mistake. The tech did put-in the correct ZF transmission fluid which cost $24.67 per quart.

Earlier... i found the Estimate paper, not the actual Invoice which i was given at end of the job. Invoice has the correct fluid listed. Estimate has wrong fluid initially quoted.

I feel so so relieved now. :)

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Just curious, what does your owners manual say for how long between fluid changes? My manual says its a lifetime fill, no need to change. Of course you could read that as" the fluid will last until shortly after the warranty is over so the repair will be at my cost since I NEVER CHANGED THE FLUID"....

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
It should say lifetime, same as the other 8-speeds. I had a 2013 with the 8-speed before my current truck, and that is what it stated.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Sorry guys, i made a mistake. The tech did put-in the correct ZF transmission fluid which cost $24.67 per quart.

Earlier... i found the Estimate paper, not the actual Invoice which i was given at end of the job. Invoice has the correct fluid listed. Estimate has wrong fluid initially quoted.

I feel so so relieved now. :)

Take the nearest bath towel, wet it, and smack yourself with it for wasting all of our time. Carry-on