Using Ram as a TOAD behind Motorhome

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lisa W

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure if this is the correct sub forum or not. I looked in the Towing and Hauling forum, but didn't see any threads about a motor home towing the ram.

We have set up our Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 to be towed behind our Class A RV. I have Successfully set it up through the step by step directions about 6 or 7 times with no problem. Then the transmission or engine starting "chittering" 2 or 3 times when I would put it in drive near the end of the sequence to ensure the truck did not roll. I would start the entire sequence over again, and all would be fine. Yesterday it clicked or "chattered" a lot when I got to drive. Tried the sequence again, same thing. Decided not to take any chances and unhooked the toad, drove behind the motorhome. I DO READ the sequence each time, so as not to miss anything.

I do go through the sequence to move out of neutral every night when we stop and then the sequence to place back into neutral the next morning. Not sure if I need to do that every night since the truck is not in the accessory position as my Honda was.

Has anyone had this happen? Any ideas why it would happen?

SportyJames

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Curious, whats your MPGs like?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L

Lisa W

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Curious, whats your MPGs like?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

On the Ram? We drive mainly city with it and right now it is about 14.5.

Now our Motorhome is a 40 ft with a 450 Cummins. When we towed the Honda it was 7 - 7.5. Not enough towing the truck to know yet. I figure probably 6.5

Lisa

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Just remember to always take out of "park"

[yt]vZFCHk1XCDY[/yt]

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Welcome to the board and sorry for the useless answers thus far. This is usually a pretty good place.

I hang out in the Tow/Haul forum regularly and have never seen a thread about using a Ram as a toad. I'm interested though as I'm hoping one day to have my vacation house pull my truck as opposed to how it's happening now.

I've often thought my dream setup would be a big class A (500+ HP tag axle) hauling a 1500 truck would be as perfect of a setup as there is. I'm guessing if you're hauling north of 5000# as a toad you must have a capable RV. Anyway, sorry for the lack of help around here.

It sounds like you've already done everything I'd suggest like reading the manual and combing the internet. Maybe asking a high end/volume RV dealer like Lazy Days would help. I'm sure someone has dealt with this before. It's just tough to find the answers with any dealers (trucks or RVs).

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Isn't this something a dealer could he you with?

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I'm interested in the answers the OP gets. Wife and I are looking at Class A diesel pushers, right now I'm focusing in on a 2018 Newmar Dutchstar. We will be toading my 2013 RAM 1500 4x4.

I've tried once to put the transfer case into neutral but failed. I admit the instructions in the owners' manual are not, to me, very clear. I realize there are video resources showing the process I just haven't got there yet.

On the Ram? We drive mainly city with it and right now it is about 14.5.

Now our Motorhome is a 40 ft with a 450 Cummins. When we towed the Honda it was 7 - 7.5. Not enough towing the truck to know yet. I figure probably 6.5

Lisa

It has been my experience towing heavy with a diesel, that adding an additional few thousand pounds of tow weight isn't going to influence the MPGs that much and you will not likely see a decrease unless you do a lot of stop & go driving. It seems folks posting up MPG pulling a 33 foot TT and others pulling a 15K fiver, both posting almost the same MPGs. Wind load seems to be the major influence.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lisa W

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just remember to always take out of "park"

[yt]vZFCHk1XCDY[/yt]

Ummm:
According to the directions it is supposed to be in PARK. One of the reasons I READ the directions each time so I don't do something wrong.

OP
OP
L

Lisa W

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
t sounds like you've already done everything I'd suggest like reading the manual and combing the internet. Maybe asking a high end/volume RV dealer like Lazy Days would help. I'm sure someone has dealt with this before. It's just tough to find the answers with any dealers (trucks or RVs).

Isn't this something a dealer could he you with?

Thanks to both of you. We were traveling across a part of Northern Nebraska and into South Dakota when I posted this. Now that I am in Rapid City I will be getting with the dealer here to have it checked out.
Just thought someone might have experienced the same thing and could give some information.

OP
OP
L

Lisa W

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm interested in the answers the OP gets. Wife and I are looking at Class A diesel pushers, right now I'm focusing in on a 2018 Newmar Dutchstar. We will be toading my 2013 RAM 1500 4x4.

I've tried once to put the transfer case into neutral but failed. I admit the instructions in the owners' manual are not, to me, very clear. I realize there are video resources showing the process I just haven't got there yet.

It has been my experience towing heavy with a diesel, that adding an additional few thousand pounds of tow weight isn't going to influence the MPGs that much and you will not likely see a decrease unless you do a lot of stop & go driving. It seems folks posting up MPG pulling a 33 foot TT and others pulling a 15K fiver, both posting almost the same MPGs. Wind load seems to be the major influence.

Thanks. The instructions definitely had to be read through a few times since they don't really separate out the different types of gear selectors. This sucker is so advanced that it won't let me put the transfer case to neutral unless I've done the steps correctly before that.
My Ram is being towed (or as RVers like to say TOAD) behind a Newmar Dutch Star 40 footer with a Cummins 450 engine on a Freightliner chassis. The RV can safely tow up to 10,000 pounds.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
My Ram is being towed (or as RVers like to say TOAD) behind a Newmar Dutch Star 40 footer

Sinking several hundred thousand into a motor home is one of those adventures you don't want to make a mistake. Once you sign, you're stuck with it.

If you had to do it over again, would it still be a Dutchstart?

OP
OP
L

Lisa W

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sinking several hundred thousand into a motor home is one of those adventures you don't want to make a mistake. Once you sign, you're stuck with it.

If you had to do it over again, would it still be a Dutchstart?

Yes, it would be a Dutch Star, no doubt about it! really like the Dutch Star. It is a high end RV but not in the stratosphere.
It is common knowledge that to be a happy RVer you have to realize that they are like big earthquakes moving down the road and that problems will happen. The Newmar's are known to be extremely well built. We didn't buy this big one until we were positive that we wanted to full time and we enjoyed the life style. We only bought the "expensive" one after we had sold our house and could afford it.

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I know this doesn't help to answer your question, but I'm genuinely curious.

What's the reason behind wanting to tow a Ram behind your motor home?
Wouldn't it make more sense to tow something lighter and more economical?

And if you need a pickup in your travels, wouldn't it make more sense to have a trailer instead of a motor home? Then you don't have to worry about towing your truck.

Part of the reason I ask these questions is because my Brother started out doing something similar.
After a few years he realized it made much more sense to sell the motor home and go with a trailer. They're much happier with the new setup.

OP
OP
L

Lisa W

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know this doesn't help to answer your question, but I'm genuinely curious.

What's the reason behind wanting to tow a Ram behind your motor home?
Wouldn't it make more sense to tow something lighter and more economical?

And if you need a pickup in your travels, wouldn't it make more sense to have a trailer instead of a motor home? Then you don't have to worry about towing your truck.

Part of the reason I ask these questions is because my Brother started out doing something similar.
After a few years he realized it made much more sense to sell the motor home and go with a trailer. They're much happier with the new setup.

I guess my question back would be does your brother full time in his trailer? We like the Class A due to storage and load capacity for full time use. This is our home and we are in it everyday. Haven't found a trailer with the same storage capacity. Some 5th wheels come close, but we really didn't find one we liked.
Why a Dodge Ram? Again, it has quite a bit of storage available. We have the bed filled with outdoor stuff (grill, lawn chairs, etc) and items we don't use often. We have the capablility so I guess part of the answer is why not?
And we like trucks! Most regular new 4x2 trucks cannot be towed 4 down, important to us. It was time for a new vehicle and we wanted 4 wheel drive to go off the beaten path. The Ram had great reviews and looks good. Also we just like trucks. The RV is fully capable of hauling even more weight than the fully loaded Ram.

Last edited:

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So, Ill do my best to help you on this one. My parents WERE full timers in a 40ft Country Coach. they towed 4 down with a Jeep liberty and recently upgraded to an older Tahoe. They have a blue ox. The Tahoe has the NVG246 Transfer case. This is the Auto that comes in the 09 and below 1500's.

Not sure about the "Chattering" you speak of, but it sounds to me like it is not Shifting the Transfer case properly. I will say that the Ram is VERY picky about the go to Neutral procedure. Let me go home and read on mine how to hit the sequence. IIRC, have trans in Neutral with KEY to ON. Engage Parking Brake. Hold down the Neutral button for x seconds and it will shift. then go back to a Gear to test, then to Park and turn key off. IIRC, the Engine may not need to even be running to do this procedure. If you dont do step by step, it does not shift. If you are doing the steps and it is not shifting, Ill ask how well it is shifting into the other 4wd modes. Will it go to 4 high? will it go to 4 low?

EDIT: i re-read your post. if you are in Neutral on the transfer case and then put the trans into drive, it will spin the rear prop shaft (between trans and transfer case), if you then try to shift the case, that shaft may still be spinning which is the noise you hear. Do you have the 8 speed or the 5 speed trans?

ALSO< if you are in Transfer case neutral and have towed the truck behind the Coach, there is no need change its position unless you wish to drive. Mom and dad towed 4 down all the way from TN, to Alaska and back this way. the truck can remain in Transfer case Neutral for as long as you need it to.

Last edited:

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Fair enough. I didn't realize you were living in your motor home full time.
I've seen some pretty nice 5th wheels but I can see the allure of going with a class A motor home in your case.

Best of luck in your travels.

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Not to be critical but a Ram pickup just does not make a good tow behind vehicle. One because of it's weight. Two because of the electronic controlled transfer case and transmission.

An ideal tow behind vehicle is something like a Jeep Wrangler. Manual transmission, manual transfer case. Put everything in neutral and off you go.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I thought I heard the newer F150s were more friendly to be towed 4 down than some others but can't seem to find any info now. As I've been casually looking to move to a class A and tow a vehicle, I'm surprised how few vehicles are setup for it. Of my 3 household vehicles the 10 year old Honda is the closest to ready.

As for the idea of a big DP towing a half-ton, I can't imagine a better setup while full-timing or spending significant time on the road. A 1/2 ton truck is REALLY a nice daily driver. Also, very capable for hauling supplies, camping trips up into the wilderness where the DP in no way can go. There's a reason the F150 was (is?) the best selling vehicle in the country.

I've always figured if I won the lottery I'd retire and travel the country in a high end tag axle diesel pusher towing a 1/2 ton truck. Living out of the DP in various cities and using the truck to camp and "adventure" would be amazing.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Not to be critical but a Ram pickup just does not make a good tow behind vehicle. One because of it's weight. Two because of the electronic controlled transfer case and transmission.

An ideal tow behind vehicle is something like a Jeep Wrangler. Manual transmission, manual transfer case. Put everything in neutral and off you go.

Nonsense.

Look in the RAM's owners' manual under "recreational towing". The reason the transfer case can be put in a neutral state is for four down towing.

As far as the motor home having the ability to tow a RAM, research the Dutchstar which is what the OP is running, it is powered by Cummins ISL putting down 1250 pound of torque. It could likely pull a couple of RAMs with out problem.

Last edited:

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Actually, it is a good one. Mainly because the Transfer case can be put into complete Neutral. plus the steering does not lock so it turns properly. as for the weight, after driving my Parents coach with a 360 Cat, you cannot tell the TOAD is back there. the weight is minuscule.

When they were looking at replacing their Jeep, they did alot of research and MOST SUV dont have the full disconnect. you have to install a special valve in the trans to allow it to be put into neutral that will circulate the trans fluid. plus you have to start them every 500 to 1000 miles. With the RAM, transfercase in Full Neutral, the trans is in Park the whole time. nothing turning in there. Transfer case has its own fluids inside as with the Differentials. once you have that, wire that baby up with secondary lights, add in the Air actuated Brake pedal piston (so it stops too), and you are good to go!