Vacuum gauge hookup, this does not look right.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SteveJC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L
I have a 2014 Ram with a 5.7L HEMI. We have the tick, it also seems to a vibration at lower RPMs. I hooked up a vacuum gauge to a vacuum port on the intake manifold. This is our results. What could it mean?

Here is the video:

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Most likely the infamous cam lobe/lifter bad.

"
Valvetrain Problems
A vacuum gauge needle that vibrates rapidly at idle and then seems to smooth out with rpm can indicate bad valve guides or a bad cam lobe. The bad guides allow the valve to move around a bit while the valves are at their lowest opening point, and the bad lobe will effectively kill that cylinder at low lift. Intermittent drops in vacuum at idle and under cruise could indicate a sticking valve, and needle drop of vibration under acceleration can indicate a bad valve or valveseat. Hydraulic lifter bleed-off will manifest as an intermittent vacuum drop at idle, and incorrect valve lash will mimic the effects of a bad valve."

https://itstillruns.com/erratic-fluctuation-vacuum-gauge-during-idle-12227649.html

Dodge4x4810

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It is hard to hear the sound and telling whether you're accelerating or decelerating sometimes. Is there any way to get a better video to hear the rpms and see the rpm gauge in the same picture as the vacuum gauge. Its hard to say without really driving it. When its fluctuating like that when you accelerate, it usually indicates a misfire, leaking valve, valve spring, or head gasket. I highly doubt a head gasket if you're not losing coolant, and I think you would know if you had a misfire. Does it run rough?

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
That looks insane, never seen that before. That tick tho... I think uve lost a lifter or cam lobe.