Vararam installed and not Happy!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I8U4DNR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed the Vararam on my 2012 Ram but i am not Happy. After 2 times of opening the Hood i can see that there is a gap on the left side between the air filter and the plastic molding where dust and dirt can get into my engine. I have recently removed this System and will Be contacting Maryland Speed where i purchased it.

on another note it will do what it says. power increase that can feel and if you stay off the skinny pedal better gas milage will be seen. :wtf2:

Attachments

• Vararam.jpg
    Vararam.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 65

holdstill79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is a youtube video on how to "better seat" the filter into the housing.Try that first

Mopar_Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Yea its a sumbitch but you have to really work the **** out of it to get it seated and tighten it wayyy down and keep your eye on it as the wing nuts tend to back off a little over time.

cbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In it for the vid as well!

Designflaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 CC Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm getting ready to clean mine for the first time. I think it is going to suck trying to do it with the base installed on the truck, but then again, I think it sucks having to remove the base to install the filter properly! :emotions122:

There is no way you can put that much pressure on the top to get the back wing nut on, and not be pushing on the red boot to the Throttle body - OH now way the wing nuts level with the posts works either, they are spinny loose at that point for me

Last edited:

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Yes, the Vararam kits use washable oiled filters.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Gotta Say it Looks Mean!

J-Dub

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm sure the performance is there and it does look good but I'm glad i have a system that is easier to mess with than having to seat a filter each time i clean it and having to worry about wing nuts backing off and stuff.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I think I have swapped so many of these lids that it is just second nature to me. Easiest way to do this is to just snug the wingnuts down a bit, then massage the filter into place, then tighten the nuts down so that about 3/4-1" of thread is showing.

I am also doing this on the ground though and not in the engine bay. It takes less time to remove the whole unit than it does to just remove the filter, so it may be worth the extra 2 minutes to remove the filter on the ground.