Very Mushy suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A330pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone else having problems towing with a 2015 Ram 1500? with just a 5000 pound boat, the back moves around like its on a trampoline. Can even feel a 2000 pound utility trailer back there after adding Airlift in-coil air springs.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Yeah the need a few things to get them to tow well.
I put heavy duty springs in mine, Timber Grove air bags and I am going to install heavy duty swaybars as well.
The stock tires do not help and a good set of D or E rated tires will help a ton , the stock ones just dont cut it.

IMO

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Rams have about the softest and least capable suspension in the 1500 class. Some of the payload ratings are an absolute embarrassment to trucks. This results is super nice soft ride but not a lot of "truck" capability". Better tires and some good airbags are the best and easiest options. A 2500 truck also works but that's a bit more expensive :)

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Tires, tires, tires. Your stock P rated tires are meant to be soft and bouncy and comfortable so you don't break the eggs on the drive home from the grocery store. I promise that changing to D or E rated tires will make your truck feel substantially more planted and give less up and down and side to side deflection. It will ride more rough, which is the trade off.

Air bags and a larger sway bar will help too, but the tires are the most vital link between you and the road.

mh3c

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ditch the P rated tires. I went with D rated.

Replace your stock coils. I went with TTC - 1210s though I'm thinking of upgrading again.

Last but not least, i still had porpoising after doing all of the above. I replaced the rear shocks with KYB Monomax and it eliminated it.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
tires, you need a better ones.

2nd if you are running bags to offset the squat, you need stiffer shocks. If not the bags and the coils work together, and the weak shocks will just bounce away.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
The coil suspension is more road compliant & provides the best ride but is soft under weight. That said with some air support/dampening is outstanding for towing. https://timbergroveenterprises.com/old-home/
As mentioned Further improved with load rated tires. Between the two a well specked 1500 could do a 10k boat confidently. (8 speed 3.92s non Pentastar)

Sparky853

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 SXT CC 4x4 6'4" Air Suspension
Engine
5.7L Hemi
When I was looking for a new truck, I knew the Rams had a softer suspension, so I spent the extra for the 4 corner air suspension. Defiantly with the money. Tows my 6000lb travel trailer no problem. Air suspension Lewis things nice and level. Also got the 3.92 rear end.

Guess the difference I see between myself and lots of guys on this forum is I knew I wanted it for towing and spend the money on air suspension and rear end gears I wanted.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I knew I needed to be able to haul more but did not want the factory air suspension so I bought the Timber Grove air bags along with the TTC-1211S rear springs.

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't notice where the actual tire air pressure is mentioned. I've towed and hauled plenty with my '15 Ram 1500 on the OEM Goodyear rubber. Increasing the pressure to the max (44psi) can make a huge difference. My truck has been absolutely stable when towing my 6000+ lb travel trailer through the mountains of the northwest. Unless you need or want new tires, don't just do it without at least verifying that.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I have towed with 45psi in my rear tires and they still squirmed around under heavy load.
Now I have 17" rims so maybe its not so bad with 20s.

EJR_3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I went through the same thing. There's a few things that holding the 1500 back from being a solid work horse. If you don't get the factory 4 corner air suspension, the coil spring will leave you sagging with a decent load. No biggie, I ordered air bags to correct that. With the bags and WDH, the sag was gone but then I started getting the squishy feeling you're talking about with heavy loads. As other mentioned it, it's the stock tires... and probably the fact that I was right at my payload limit. Then it all hit me, the truck was designed to handle well, comfort, and light duty and I was slowly degrading those features trying to make it rugged enough for some medium to heavy duty. My solution, I traded it in for something that would be more than capable and let someone else enjoy the 1500 the way it was designed to be enjoyed.

1500 payload
100# nerf bars
75# tonneau cover
50# Air bags
800# tongue weight
235# driver
150# passenger
Was at 1,410# without tools, luggage, and additional passengers before hitting the road. Yeah, the HEMI is capable to pull everything I have and I stayed within my axle limits, but the tires and suspension (and payload) were the limiting factors.