Vibration in 4x4 constantly destroying CV axles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Extremetw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey, so let me tell you my story.

I have a 2008 dodge ram 1500 5.7L. I live in northern Canada so I'm usually in 4x4 during the harsh winters.

I had a leveling kit put in my truck 4 years ago. Lost 3 CV axles and had a minor vibration. Last year I removed the kit. The vibration seemed to had disappeared. This winter I again lost my driver side CV. 3rd time. So I replaced it again and decided to drain my front and rear diffs and my transfer case. No metal at all on the magnetic plugs. Transfer case and front diff oil was clean as could be. The gearing on the front diff looked perfect. Just recently we had a big snow fall and I threw her in 4x4. Vibration is back and when making a turn she almost locked up on me in both directions. Checked my cv's, passenger sides boot is ripped. I'm assuming its toast.
I'll also note that I do not feel it in my steering wheel. And I'm just now starting to feel it in 2wd. Not sure if it has anything to do with it or just a mental thing and the ****** roads we have.

Any suggestions on what it could be?

119000km in the truck btw

Cheers,

Tyler

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ball joints, control arm(s)/bushings, wheel bearings?

Basically anything that needs to be tight or would allow the hub/spindle to vibrate or flex enough that it causes and issue with the axle going through it.

OP
OP
E

Extremetw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only thing I haven't changed is the wheel bearings, but I check them every time I do my tire swaps. (Twice a year)

And wouldn't ball joints and control arms just affect the side that's faulty in terms of CV axles? And wouldn't I feel it in my steering if anything that has to do with my steering components?

Mopar4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
could be two different issues.

are you buying reman or new cv’s? what brand?

the cv industry is mostly ugly from my experience, the cv reman industry is even worse.

tires balanced? ujoints? cupped/worn tires?

OP
OP
E

Extremetw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use only new parts. Aftermarket of course. OEM is way too expensive (maybe I should use a mopar product)
I believe the manufacturer is moog.
I had my tires balanced 3 months ago. One was off they said but nothing major. They also said the tires looked good.

U-joints on my drive shafts? I haven't checked those. The 3rd gens have that 72 inch rear shaft that I heard can warp due to its sheer length. And when the transfer case locks in 4x4, it could cause a vibration?

Any thoughts?

LumberJakl

Reaction score
Ram Year
'17 Sport QC
Engine
5.7L 4x4
Can you take a picture on leveled ground showing the CV's? Maybe you have steep angles with the leveling kit that is causing excessive wear on them

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Can you take a picture on leveled ground showing the CV's? Maybe you have steep angles with the leveling kit that is causing excessive wear on them
Not a bad thought, but he said the leveling kit was removed and there was still subsequent failure.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use only new parts. Aftermarket of course. OEM is way too expensive (maybe I should use a mopar product)
I believe the manufacturer is moog.
I had my tires balanced 3 months ago. One was off they said but nothing major. They also said the tires looked good.

U-joints on my drive shafts? I haven't checked those. The 3rd gens have that 72 inch rear shaft that I heard can warp due to its sheer length. And when the transfer case locks in 4x4, it could cause a vibration?

Any thoughts?

Unfortunately I dont think there are any *good* aftermarket axles out there. Same issue when I had them replaced in my wifes old Acura. Same issue I might be in the middle of on my 2011 G37.

The best option seems to be low mileage used OEM units or rebuilding the OEM units that came with the vehicle (a lot arent easily rebuildable, though)

OP
OP
E

Extremetw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm just assuming the vibration in 4x4 is what causes my wheel lock up which affects my cv's to fail.
I can take a pic of my angles on level ground and maybe it's something totally noticeable that I dont see. But wouldn't the angels have to be extreme for that to happen?

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you driving on asphalt at all when you are in 4x4 even on snow or ice roads, 4x4 and high grip sufaces for any amount of time will destroy those buggers

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn