Wanting to drag race on the track...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pbz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello everyone. I'm wanting to setup my truck to take to the drag strip. My sons love vars and racing and figured its a good way for us to hang on a Friday evening.

I've got a 5.7 hemi with magnaflo muffler and intake. Hoping to get a Superchips flashpaq soon and I want to get some lighter 17 inch wheels [maybe stocks] and run some performance friendly tires. Any suggestions on a tire size or brand? Anyone else here draggin their ram?

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would get a Diablo programmer w/ a custom Jay Greene tune instead of Superchips. Much better alternative. The cheapest track wheels set up is stock aluminum 17's w/ a set of 28" drag radials. I like MT tires myself. I run mine at the track. Best pass I have is a 12.66 at 106 w/ normal bolt ons

Skubasteve!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would get a Diablo programmer w/ a custom Jay Greene tune instead of Superchips. Much better alternative. The cheapest track wheels set up is stock aluminum 17's w/ a set of 28" drag radials. I like MT tires myself. I run mine at the track. Best pass I have is a 12.66 at 106 w/ normal bolt ons

Crew cab or RC? What bolt ons? Thats a great time.

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2016 Ram R/T
-Jay Greene motor/trans tune
-S&B intake
-Magnaflow muffler
-Clutch fan delete
-180* t-stat

Track prep:
-no tailgate
-no spare
-no pass seat
-no center seat

This was w/ the R/T 22" tires. I dont have drag radials yet

Since then now have a AFE catless y pipe & QA1 rear shocks. Hoping to see 12.4-12.5 this coming weekend
FB_IMG_1513123915302.jpg 20171210_125849.jpg

Last edited:

Skubasteve!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Let us know how it goes! Thats damn quick for a pickup.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Let us know how it goes! Thats damn quick for a pickup.

Go to NADODGE on facebook,you'll find lots of us that race the trucks,there's not very many guys racing their trucks left on here,you're better off finding them on facebook these days.Gary holds the quickest 22" street tire pass so far,lol. My little rcsb 4X4 has gone 12.41 on 295/40/17 drag radials. Doesn't take all that much to get the 8speed trucks into the 12's. Is your truck a regular cab shortbox?

Skubasteve!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Go to NADODGE on facebook,you'll find lots of us that race the trucks,there's not very many guys racing their trucks left on here,you're better off finding them on facebook these days.Gary holds the quickest 22" street tire pass so far,lol. My little rcsb 4X4 has gone 12.41 on 295/40/17 drag radials. Doesn't take all that much to get the 8speed trucks into the 12's. Is your truck a regular cab shortbox?

I got rid of facebook a year or so ago, couldnt handle all the BS. Nice times for you as well! Mine is a 15 crew cab with 3.21 gears, so I wont be getting anywhere near those times... mine requires the full pcm replacement tune which is $$$$

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's cheaper if you have them unlock your existing PCM without having to buy another one.
Jay

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I got rid of facebook a year or so ago, couldnt handle all the BS. Nice times for you as well! Mine is a 15 crew cab with 3.21 gears, so I wont be getting anywhere near those times... mine requires the full pcm replacement tune which is $$$$

This used to be a good place for info,but lately it seems like the guys into modding the trucks are more likely to be found on one of the Ram truck based facebook pages. Yea there's times you just gotta sort through and ignore the ******** on facebook,lol.

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Much cheaper to do the pcm swap through Diablo instead of buying another unlocked PCM. They send you a pcm, once you recieve it you send yours to them.

Skubasteve!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
However, if I do it that way I lose the option of putting my factory pcm back in for warranty work, correct? Im also down without a vehicle for a few days, if not more. I have 26k on my truck and dont want to lose out on my warranty.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Apparently you can buy a used 2014 PCM and send it in,that's the rumour floating around these days

OP
OP
Pbz

Pbz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the responses guys. I found a local guy selling some oem 17s w tires, could prob get em for $150 the set.

I read only pcm has tp unlocked on 2015 and up? True or false? I want to drop a thermostat and I'm interested in cluth fan delete. Also... I have a 6 speed

I decided to go w superchips because of the cost dif but i will keep the diablo in mind. Ideally I'd like to run a 100 shot through the nx hemi plate adapter. [Assuming i get a positive response from my sons which should facilitate wifes approval]

Not sure if i would run drag radials as i would want to drive the truck to West Palm prob 2 hour trip to the track.

I'm gonna email track and see whats up. If i could pop a canopy w some chairs and unload spare and tailgate that'd be cool. Maybe i could even take 17s with drags and swap out at the track. I have a qc so theres a lot of seats to take out I used to go years ago with my honda but those were simpler times lol.

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Superchips doesnt offer custom tuning. Yes its cheaper but inferior due to no custom tuning. A canned tune barely makes a difference on these trucks. A custom tune is where the real gains come from. It may be cheaper but when its bought & installed you will be disappointed then looking at spending yet even more money for Diablo

Also the pcm & warranty. Yes if you dont have your factory pcm if you need warranty work then your warranty is gone. If you do choose to do the pcm swap though there is zero down time. They send their pcm to you 1st. You install it then send your pcm back to them. If not just buy an extra pcm. Thats what I did.

Last edited:

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You wont be able to do a clutch fan delete w/ a Superchips programmer. You will need a Diablo to be able to adjust the efan temps down to cool the truck. If the temps arent adjusted the truck will run hot on hot days or when towing

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the responses guys. I found a local guy selling some oem 17s w tires, could prob get em for $150 the set.

I read only pcm has tp unlocked on 2015 and up? True or false? I want to drop a thermostat and I'm interested in cluth fan delete. Also... I have a 6 speed

I decided to go w superchips because of the cost dif but i will keep the diablo in mind. Ideally I'd like to run a 100 shot through the nx hemi plate adapter. [Assuming i get a positive response from my sons which should facilitate wifes approval]

Not sure if i would run drag radials as i would want to drive the truck to West Palm prob 2 hour trip to the track.

I'm gonna email track and see whats up. If i could pop a canopy w some chairs and unload spare and tailgate that'd be cool. Maybe i could even take 17s with drags and swap out at the track. I have a qc so theres a lot of seats to take out I used to go years ago with my honda but those were simpler times lol.
Which track? PBIR? I’m in the West palm area and have been debating doing a stock run on my truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Pbz

Pbz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Which track? PBIR? I’m in the West palm area and have been debating doing a stock run on my truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats the one! Used to call it MOROSO when we were kids. Any other SFL guys on here? I would love to run against some other trucks. I know i could prob smash few 4 bangers but a truck or 2 there would be nice. I will spend the extra $ for the diablo for sure i found a refurbished direct from diabloon ebay at a little less $.

*gary- so i do need an extra pcm even though i have a 2014?

OP
OP
Pbz

Pbz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No you dont but Skubasteve does. Only 2015 & up

Awesome! I will def get the diablo programmer instead based on your recommendation. I tow a rig with my bobcat for work so I would like to upgrade my differential cover when i service it as well.

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check out Hemi Truck Club. We have a pretty significant Florida chapter, we usually go to Orlando Speedworld.