Wanting to drag race on the track...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^^ Lots of knowledgeable guys over there especially regarding trans issues.
Jay

OP
OP
Pbz

Pbz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info guys.

Local guy wants $125 for a brand new set of oem 17s. Those wheels are 17x7 right? Anyone know a weight?

I been reading about slicks vs drag radials. Seems slicks are cheaper and lighter but i havent shopped around yet. How wide a slick is safe to run on a 7" wide wheel? I think a narrow drag radial for the front would suit me better.

I email PBIR about the setup for test and tune nights but judging from the map i should be able to stage a small area to swap tires and pull off tailgate. Maybe have couple chairs and a cooler.

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the info guys.

Local guy wants $125 for a brand new set of oem 17s. Those wheels are 17x7 right? Anyone know a weight?

I been reading about slicks vs drag radials. Seems slicks are cheaper and lighter but i havent shopped around yet. How wide a slick is safe to run on a 7" wide wheel? I think a narrow drag radial for the front would suit me better.

I email PBIR about the setup for test and tune nights but judging from the map i should be able to stage a small area to swap tires and pull off tailgate. Maybe have couple chairs and a cooler.

Yes the newer aluminum 17's are 7" wide. They weight about 25-27 lbs. Everybody runs the Hoosier 28 tall x 10 wide tires on those wheels w/ great success. There are several 15+ reg cab bolt on guys running 12.0-12.2 on that exact wheel set up.

If your swapping wheels at the track get slicks. If your swapping wheels at home get drag radials.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the responses guys. I found a local guy selling some oem 17s w tires, could prob get em for $150 the set.

I read only pcm has tp unlocked on 2015 and up? True or false? I want to drop a thermostat and I'm interested in cluth fan delete. Also... I have a 6 speed

I decided to go w superchips because of the cost dif but i will keep the diablo in mind. Ideally I'd like to run a 100 shot through the nx hemi plate adapter. [Assuming i get a positive response from my sons which should facilitate wifes approval]

Not sure if i would run drag radials as i would want to drive the truck to West Palm prob 2 hour trip to the track.

I'm gonna email track and see whats up. If i could pop a canopy w some chairs and unload spare and tailgate that'd be cool. Maybe i could even take 17s with drags and swap out at the track. I have a qc so theres a lot of seats to take out I used to go years ago with my honda but those were simpler times lol.

Are you on hemitruckclub.com? I ask cause I see you meantioned West Palm, the Florida section on that forum is fairly lively with guys that mod an race there trucks as well. Just an option