Washing in the winter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cecil_

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 SLT
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hi all, I had my truck put away for the the winter, but I had to have warranty work done at the dealer. I tried to drive it to and from the dealer on dry days. When I picked the truck up it had very light salt spray on it. (Dealer said they test drove it)

I was fine with that since I fluid filmed the whole truck underside including rockers. I would like to get the salt off the paint though

Any tips on washing it in the winter?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I'd do a drive through, pay the higher soaking amount, and get home and dry off. Maybe use a quick detailer. I use Mothers Waterless wash after I wash mine.

OP
OP
Cecil_

Cecil_

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 SLT
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Okay I use, surf city garage products. Usually I use my foam canon and spot dry with my master blaster. Then I apply a glossifyer and do a final dry with a griots garage pfm towel.

Is it a big concern to have water turn to ice in seams on the vehicle? I park in a I headed garage and run a dehumidifier when the weather is above freezing.

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've never had any issues washing in the winter. It can consistently hit the single digits (F°) for months in a row and I usually park outside. Door/window seals will be a bit frozen but no biggie there. Oh, and the power fold mirrors won't fold.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bjohnston0624

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
va is terrible. I'm a mobile detailer & it will be below freezing/snowing for the next 2 weeks [emoji38][emoji38]. I attempted a detail at a clients house and the water froze before I could spray my foam [emoji848][emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a heads up: parking in a heated garage will cause your truck to rust FASTER.

Think about what happens when you take a can of pop out of the fridge. The outside gets wet, right? Same thing when you take your truck out of the fridge and put it in a warm garage, except the condensation happens inside body panels. You ever see the bottom edges of doors or trunk lids rusting out? That's from condensation on the inside.

Park your truck in the garage, if you want, but don't heat it. If you need the garage heated for other reasons, leave your truck outside.

AdamsPolishes

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A shiny one
Check out this video!

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good process----I'm just thinking about the guy behind you waiting to get into the bay next. :(
Jay

Dgriffi2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yeah, I'm sure car wash owners appreciate a single customer monopolizing their car wash for an hour! Lol. Love how he refers to his $60,000 SUV as a "winter beater!"

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
What kind of truck do you own to not drive it in the winter? you live in West Virgina according to your profile and your afraid of the winter? I live in Newengland and maybe wash my car once a month during the winter. it sits with salt all over it during the winter months, and I still expect this truck to last 10 years. relax man, its just a truck..

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
What kind of truck do you own to not drive it in the winter? you live in West Virgina according to your profile and your afraid of the winter? I live in Newengland and maybe wash my car once a month during the winter. it sits with salt all over it during the winter months, and I still expect this truck to last 10 years. relax man, its just a truck..

The same kind I have, a barn queen! My truck hasn't seen the light of day for 3 months. Relax man, some guys have daily driver winter beaters so the nice truck stays nice.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wash it in the heated garage. Best advice I can give you, it was 85 degrees today and that's all I got.

Wiggleroom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Why not use a pay and spray booth? Find one with heated water / wait for a warmer day to do it