weight distribution system with sway control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mhampton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
I recently bought a fleetwood 20N mallard travel trailer (4000lbs) and the previous owner wanted the hitch back, not the spring bars or boots, just the hitch. Not sure why but since he gave me a great deal I honored his request. So now I am in the market for a new system. I tow the trailer with a 97 dodge ram 1500 sport 5.2L. Max tongue weight 700 lbs. The trailer has a factory rated tongue weight of 500lbs I believe. I am thinking of getting a new 750lb tongue weight system or larger because I am not sure how much longer I will be using this old truck to do the pulling. Next truck will be a 3/4 ton. I sometimes just use our 2007 denali if i know we are going a along way or have hills or passes to go over. So the question is: If I buy a weight disttribution towing system that out rates my truck will it cause a problem if I keep the loads with in the standard payload limits?

RamV10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V10
I recently bought a fleetwood 20N mallard travel trailer (4000lbs) and the previous owner wanted the hitch back, not the spring bars or boots, just the hitch. Not sure why but since he gave me a great deal I honored his request. So now I am in the market for a new system. I tow the trailer with a 97 dodge ram 1500 sport 5.2L. Max tongue weight 700 lbs. The trailer has a factory rated tongue weight of 500lbs I believe. I am thinking of getting a new 750lb tongue weight system or larger because I am not sure how much longer I will be using this old truck to do the pulling. Next truck will be a 3/4 ton. I sometimes just use our 2007 denali if i know we are going a along way or have hills or passes to go over. So the question is: If I buy a weight disttribution towing system that out rates my truck will it cause a problem if I keep the loads with in the standard payload limits?

When I bought mine I bought the heaviest duty I could. So the answer is NO.
We have both a 32' Tahoe TT with a 12' slide out dry weight #8000 but it has never been close to dry. We have a Mallard 24J 26' & I use the same hitch for both.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Welcome to the forum!!!

It is more important to match the WDH to you trailer tongue rating not the truck. This is assuming your hitch is rated for the tongue weight of the trailer.

I have an Equal-i-zer for our TT and really like it a lot.

RamV10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V10
Welcome to the forum!!!

It is more important to match the WDH to you trailer tongue rating not the truck. This is assuming your hitch is rated for the tongue weight of the trailer.

I have an Equal-i-zer for our TT and really like it a lot.

That is exactly why I bought the heaviest. Your right about the trailer tongue weight. I believe mine will handle a 1000 or 1200# tongue. My heaviest trailer is 750#. I think that is the heaviest weight distribution hitch you can buy.