weird squealing noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAM_007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Hey Im new to the site and looking for some help. I have a funny high pitched squealing noise comming from under the hood of my 97 Ram. I took of the serpentine belt and the noise goes away. I turned all the pulleys by hand and they all turn freely without noise. I replaced the water pump about a year ago so i dont think its that.
Any input is greatly appreciated Thanks

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was the belt itself loose? Tensioner not working? Welcome to the site.

ramthis9501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
Could be that the belt is worn out. Get a new one and see if that fixes it. Welcome to the forum! Post up some pics

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
One way to check the tension of a belt is it should be tight enough for you to only be able to turn it 90 degrees between two pulleys that are farthest away from each other

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
It could be a worn belt like others have said. It could also be the belt itself. I had that issue before checked all the pulleys and still couldn't get it to stop till I spent the big bucks and bought a gates belt. After I put it on no more squeel. So it could just be that particular belt.

OP
OP
R

RAM_007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
I ended up replacing the bearings in the idler arm pulley and that took care of the noise. I was lucky to buy just the bearing at napa for a couple dollars instead of buying the whole pulley.
Thanks for the help