Well its about time to give the black truck a good wash. Need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

msorbara10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram 2500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well the winter really got my truck dirty. I am finally getting a weekend to go to a friends house and take some time off school and I am going to use it to wash my truck.
I would like to use a squeegee to get all of the wiper lines and dirt off the windows and from there I will apply windex. Is this a good method and for thoes who squeegee what soap do you use? Also I will use invisible glass on the inside.
I am not sure about the body though. What is a good wash and wax combo? I dont know if I trust the wash products that will wax at the same time and I dont mind washing and waxing seperate. So what does everyone recomend for a black truck.
Also what is good polish for the chrome for my wheels and bumpers?
Lastly what are some good tire shines? Something with a nice matte finish would be nice also

Thanks everyone I cant wait to get her cleaned up and cant wait to hear what everyone does

OilCityOperator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I use windex on all my windows inside and out.
Then a bucket of soapy water + micro fibre cloth to wash, then rinse with hose
For waxing after I like to use a micro fibre cloth and “mothers" brand carnuba wax it smells awesome lol.
I forget what my chrome cleaner is its in a gold toothpaste looking tube, works real nice.
Tires I use "spray nine", rub with cloth then use "turtle wax wet n black tire shine" and let sit. Works amazingly I love that stuff lasts a good while.

Good luck bud !

Last edited:

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Whatever you use, make sure it's Tint Safe...which, I don't think household Windex is....I use RainX

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I'm an Adams Polishes user. Check them out here: Adam's Premium Car Care - Cleaners, Waxes and Polishes Made in the USA

I used to use store bought stuff, but I soon realized after trying a few things, that you get the work done more efficiently, safer, and better, when using a quality, well tested product.

FYI: Adams has a 110% guarantee and they MEAN it. If it doesn't do everything you expect of it, they'll pay you 10% and pay to have the item picked up. They also offer one of the best customer service resources I've ever dealt with. It's truly epic!!!

If you like Invisible Glass, you'll be amazed by Adams glass cleaner. It's truly that good. Plus it's tint safe. Buy a couple of their microfiber glass towels and you'll wonder why you hadn't in the past.

Windex is NOT tint safe. Ammonia and Alcohol are what kill tint.

I am totally OCD when washing. Two buckets with grit guards, pre-rinse with pre-foam and then wash. It's pretty nuts and my car can take 2 hours to just wash it. If it's REALLY bad, I hit the coin op first using just water (the soap removes waxes and sealants) to knock off the big chunks. (bugs and stuff)

When cleaning window glass I will clean the car, then go back with Adams Glass Cleaner and clay bar and clay the window. I'll then dry, and apply Adams Glass sealant. Rain-X works, but I've found that it always makes my wipers skip. The Adams sealant does not.

Car washes are NOT created equal... I used to think so, and bought what ever was on sale at Auto-zone. Man was I wrong. Suds are where it's at and the more and the denser they are, the better. Keep in mind, 90% of your "scratches" come from the process of washing and drying.

Adams Super VRT is a mat finished product and is silicon and alcohol free, water proof, and has an SPF 40 for great protection of Vinyl, Rubber, and Tires. VRT...

Anyway... Check them out. You won't be disappointed you did, and if you are, you can make 10% of your money back. If you are interested, PM me and I'll get you a coupon code.

Instructional Detailing Videos

Yes, I take this to another level completely, but I also know a lot about detailing a car to make it look better than 99% of the cars out there. ;)

Remember, a flash into paint will show you EVERYTHING! Here's my G8 after correction with Adams. NO WAX or Sealant of any kind. Just polished.

Chris

Attachments

• DSC00518.jpg
    DSC00518.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm not going to try to sell you any particular product/s, but these are the steps that I use. Wash with Dawn soap using the 2 bucket method, then clay bar your truck(you can include clay barring your windshield also), then wash again using a good automotive soap, look for any small scratches that the clay bar may have left and if you see some then you need to polish the truck to take out the scratches. Then you can apply a good name brand sealant on your truck, followed by a good wax. Everyone has their own favorite products they like and they all swear that they are the best bar none. Fastest, bestest, eaisest, shinest, longest lasting, yady yady yady----
If you want good information about products either go to autopia.org or autogeek.net. Both are excellent sites(free) that will help you decide what the best products for your particular application.
Jay
If you want information on the products I use and why I use them you can PM me.

Last edited:

Darkknight3829

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use the turtle wax black box kit. It is very time consuming but looks AMAZING! Definitely would recommend it. For the tires I use Armor All Tire foam.. i think that gives the best shine. Ive tried different products but i like the way Armor All tire foam looks and lasts.
IMG_1528_zps7c2c9bbd.jpg

GixxerJeff

Reaction score
Ram Year
04 Ram quad cab 2500
Engine
I'm an Adams Polishes user. Check them out here: Adam's Premium Car Care - Cleaners, Waxes and Polishes Made in the USA

I used to use store bought stuff, but I soon realized after trying a few things, that you get the work done more efficiently, safer, and better, when using a quality, well tested product.

FYI: Adams has a 110% guarantee and they MEAN it. If it doesn't do everything you expect of it, they'll pay you 10% and pay to have the item picked up. They also offer one of the best customer service resources I've ever dealt with. It's truly epic!!!

If you like Invisible Glass, you'll be amazed by Adams glass cleaner. It's truly that good. Plus it's tint safe. Buy a couple of their microfiber glass towels and you'll wonder why you hadn't in the past.

Windex is NOT tint safe. Ammonia and Alcohol are what kill tint.

I am totally OCD when washing. Two buckets with grit guards, pre-rinse with pre-foam and then wash. It's pretty nuts and my car can take 2 hours to just wash it. If it's REALLY bad, I hit the coin op first using just water (the soap removes waxes and sealants) to knock off the big chunks. (bugs and stuff)

When cleaning window glass I will clean the car, then go back with Adams Glass Cleaner and clay bar and clay the window. I'll then dry, and apply Adams Glass sealant. Rain-X works, but I've found that it always makes my wipers skip. The Adams sealant does not.

Car washes are NOT created equal... I used to think so, and bought what ever was on sale at Auto-zone. Man was I wrong. Suds are where it's at and the more and the denser they are, the better. Keep in mind, 90% of your "scratches" come from the process of washing and drying.

Adams Super VRT is a mat finished product and is silicon and alcohol free, water proof, and has an SPF 40 for great protection of Vinyl, Rubber, and Tires. VRT...

Anyway... Check them out. You won't be disappointed you did, and if you are, you can make 10% of your money back. If you are interested, PM me and I'll get you a coupon code.

Instructional Detailing Videos

Yes, I take this to another level completely, but I also know a lot about detailing a car to make it look better than 99% of the cars out there. ;)

Remember, a flash into paint will show you EVERYTHING! Here's my G8 after correction with Adams. NO WAX or Sealant of any kind. Just polished.

Chris

Thanks for the info! just ordered a complete buffing kit from them. I would of never knew about them till I read this post.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Thanks for the info! just ordered a complete buffing kit from them. I would of never knew about them till I read this post.

If you need ANY help, let me know! I've been there and done it.

Also make sure to use their forum for help. It's AWESOME. Their Customer support is literally the best I've seen. Adam himself will get on the phone and help you if need be.

Chris

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
austmurr