What caused this damage

Discussion in '5.9 Common Rail' started by dmuney, Mar 2, 2016.

1. dmuney

dmuney Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9L HO Cummins
    I'm not so sure on the melting because the cylinder wall is beat to gel it has deep craters and if you look at the picture with all the yellow markings the one line at the top of the cylinder it's like is the piston come up to TDC and was getting forced sideways. And then there's all the chunks of the ring in the oil pan I think those marks on the Pistons were from the rings getting beat out of it

Sent by me

2. sbarron

sbarron Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 HEMI
    Looks to me like the piston got hot enough that the skirt got brittle. Caused by the detonation seen on the top of the piston (?). That type of temperature would also cause local lubrication failure which would likely cause the ring failure which also contributed to the damage. The dog started chasing it's own tail.

dmuney likes this.
  3. dmuney

dmuney Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9L HO Cummins

Describe the detonation on the piston so I can understand what you see if you would please

Sent by me

4. dmuney

dmuney Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9L HO Cummins

Anyway for me to find out if there's a tune in it ? I am an experienced auto & diesel Technition just new to the common rail

Sent by me

5. SilverStreak88

SilverStreak88 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Eco Gasser
    Another tuner or dealer, if you hook up a Smarty, it'll tell you that foreign software was detected.

dmuney likes this.
  6. dmuney

dmuney Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9L HO Cummins

Sent by me

7. dmuney

dmuney Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9L HO Cummins

Are you talking about the small shiny specks ?

Sent by me

8. sbarron

sbarron Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 HEMI
    I was referring to some of the scorching around the shoulder and across the rim.

9. sbarron

sbarron Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 HEMI
    On a CAT, (fishing boat-3208), I've seen the same damage, (though to be honest, with more damage to the piston top), caused by a bad injector. There wasn't much smoke until right before we decided to tear it down and examine, nor did we ever see any real differences in exhaust temps.

10. R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Typically the marks in that pattern are due to a bad injector. and you probably got fuel running down the skirt and burning causing rings and such to get blown out and melting.... prob started small. Take a look at the injectors and or replace them. If you are running a tuner there is alot you need to support that extra fueling.

Not knowing all the details of your build or if its stock its hard to say exactly the cause but I would not just put it back together without looking at the injectors... and I always suggest if you change one change them all. its alot of money but just one of those things. also look at the wiring/valve cover gasket for damage. they are known to fail causing injector issues which can result in this...

Also do you have a EGT gauge. and I have a master manual to the 06-07 years on CD if you are interested in it I can email you. just PM me with your contact info.

dmuney and sbarron like this.