What did you do with your 4th Gen this week?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Do the Icons have a defined sag amount before hitting the increased load coils? And from what I can see, I didn't find anywhere what the additional load carrying capacity of the Icons is, either in lbs or a percentage (other than ram1500rsm's sheet that says 50% load increase), so it's hard to do a direct comparison straight across.
Check out @bruiserRAM build. He did a load comparison and loaded height loss. If I'm not mistaken the icons sag about 1" before getting into the heavier rate. I don't have them so I can't 100% confirm this.

Variable rate coils seem to be a case by case scenario. Ram1500rsm and I ran superlift 140 coils. Variable rate. We both sagged them in a quick fashion while others run around with 2" lift out of them for the entire time they have them. He and I both do carry a pretty decent amount of extra weight full time. If you run with an empty bed I have to assume you'll have results closer to the majority compared to us.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do the Icons have a defined sag amount before hitting the increased load coils? And from what I can see, I didn't find anywhere what the additional load carrying capacity of the Icons is, either in lbs or a percentage (other than ram1500rsm's sheet that says 50% load increase), so it's hard to do a direct comparison straight across.
Nobody list stock rates, and the aftermarket doesn't list their rates. We're literally blind in this application when it comes to spring rates. You don't see many people concerned about spring rates either, it seems the big bunch is simply concerned with *** inches of lift so that's how the market reacts. if the amount of lift wasn't enough to satisfy the eyes then they'll recommend to add a bigger spacer, it seems we have 3/4, 1 and 1.5" in various flavors spacers for the rear coils. Then you have 1" springs, 1.5" springs, 3" springs and 5" springs, lol.
The difference in prices on the spacers is crazy, a spacer is a **** that gives you a little more lift when the aftermarket springs weren't enough to give you a better rate/height for your application and how much weight you add to it from unloaded to fully loaded. I run a 1" Daystar with my Icons but i've been researching for new springs. I don't like spacers. I have 450lbs extra in mods in the back of my truck so that's how i have to account for height in my application unloaded with my Icon springs. Would you pay $50 for a spacer or $300 for a spacer? that's how wild the differences can be and you better believe there is people who will tell you to pony up for the gold plated ones. Never cared to check why lol. All i know is that i did pay more than $100 for a set of DAMN spacers. Never felt more violated before considering i paid that much for silly ******** **** spacers. you can tell how much i'm fascinated for the POS considering what they do.

So no vendors list specifics in their websites, Tuff truck for example will tell you their spring rates if you call, Icon won't release anything about theirs.
So this is what we know and i have added to my list.
4th gen RAM 1500 rear coil spring rate i know so far:
The TT 1210 springs are 258 lbs/inc and they're supposed to be 25% extra load.
If we trust their numbers, then the stockers should be around 206 lbs/inc

TT 1210: 258 lbs/inch
TT 1211: 319 lbs/inch
TT1223V: 280 lbs (after the first 2" of compression supposedly that's their 2nd rate)
All of the above is here https://www.ramforum.com/threads/ttc-1211.151245/#post-2135285

BDS 3": 240lbs/inch
As for BDS i have emails from them indicating free length and spring rates on their 3" spring. i'd guess their 5" spring is also 240lbs/inch, but 2" taller.

According to this sheet, a stock crew cab weights 2246lbs in the back more or less.
upload_2020-4-28_16-56-43.png

Suppose the factory spring rate is 206 lbs/inch.
the free length on the crew cab 1500 rear coil is 18.25"
that means you'll need 412lbs combined to push them down 1"
2246/412=5.45"inch of sag on the factory ones, meaning they should seat then at around 12.8" under factory rear weight more or less, add 400lbs extra weight to them and now they sag an extra inch and so for.

Last edited:

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nobody list stock rates, and the aftermarket doesn't list their rates. We're literally blind in this application when it comes to spring rates. You don't see many people concerned about spring rates either, it seems the big bunch is simply concerned with *** inches of lift so that's how the market reacts. if the amount of lift wasn't enough to satisfy the eyes then they'll recommend to add a bigger spacer, it seems we have 3/4, 1 and 1.5" in various flavors spacers for the rear coils. Then you have 1" springs, 1.5" springs, 3" springs and 5" springs, lol.
The difference in prices on the spacers is crazy, a spacer is a **** that gives you a little more lift when the aftermarket springs weren't enough to give you a better rate/height for your application and how much weight you add to it from unloaded to fully loaded. I run a 1" Daystar with my Icons but i've been researching for new springs. I don't like spacers. I have 450lbs extra in mods in the back of my truck so that's how i have to account for height in my application unloaded with my Icon springs. Would you pay $50 for a spacer or $300 for a spacer? that's how wild the differences can be and you better believe there is people who will tell you to pony up for the gold plated ones. Never cared to check why lol. All i know is that i did pay more than $100 for a set of DAMN spacers. Never felt more violated before considering i paid that much for silly ******** **** spacers. you can tell how much i'm fascinated for the POS considering what they do.

So no vendors list specifics in their websites, Tuff truck for example will tell you their spring rates if you call, Icon won't release anything about theirs.
So this is what we know and i have added to my list.
4th gen RAM 1500 rear coil spring rate i know so far:
The TT 1210 springs are 258 lbs/inc and they're supposed to be 25% extra load.
If we trust their numbers, then the stockers should be around 206 lbs/inc

TT 1210: 258 lbs/inch
TT 1211: 319 lbs/inch
TT1223V: 280 lbs (after the first 2" of compression supposedly that's their 2nd rate)
All of the above is here https://www.ramforum.com/threads/ttc-1211.151245/#post-2135285

BDS 3": 240lbs/inch
As for BDS i have emails from them indicating free length and spring rates on their 3" spring. i'd guess their 5" spring is also 240lbs/inch, but 2" taller.

According to this sheet, a stock crew cab weights 2246lbs in the back more or less.

Suppose the factory spring rate is 206 lbs/inch.
the free length on the crew cab 1500 rear coil is 18.25"
that means you'll need 412lbs combined to push them down 1"
2246/412=5.45"inch of sag on the factory ones, meaning they should seat then at around 12.8" under factory rear weight more or less, add 400lbs extra weight to them and now they sag an extra inch and so for.

Beautiful data man, I love numbers and you seem to have them all. Thank you.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
do you drive in a dusty area? Mine was over 10k and half as dirty

No to dusty area driving.
Truck sat in a remote dealer shared dirt lot for who knows how long. I made them wash it 2 times. First got the exterior, second when I picked it up and popped the hood and saw a demarcation line from exterior cleaning.....dust EVERYWHERE!!

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Got my Bils installed at 2.1. Shoulda went 2.8 lol

Pics don’t seem to do it justice....

c0d330d2b5b5d2a5771bc569722095c8.jpg

cf73106031aac965259f114c96be5c01.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
you need the factory style flares I have from when I swapped to pocket flares :) Looking good man.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
you need the factory style flares I have from when I swapped to pocket flares :) Looking good man.

Thanks! I still am very jealous of your truck tho lol. One my favourites on this forum!

I will probably get the zone 1.5 body lift and get a slightly taller tire when these ones are done. But I’m happy so far with it. Drives great and haven’t had the alignment yet. Drove it home. Parked it. Alignment is next Tuesday. I’ll do short drives. Get everything settled and get the alignment done. So far the angles look pretty good and I’m happy I finally got these on my truck

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
Thanks! I still am very jealous of your truck tho lol. One my favourites on this forum!

I will probably get the zone 1.5 body lift and get a slightly taller tire when these ones are done. But I’m happy so far with it. Drives great and haven’t had the alignment yet. Drove it home. Parked it. Alignment is next Tuesday. I’ll do short drives. Get everything settled and get the alignment done. So far the angles look pretty good and I’m happy I finally got these on my truck

aw shucks!!!!

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't done much. Today would have been a perfect day to wash her, but I cut the lawn and put down some grass seed and starter fertilizer.

I drove it yesterday to the post office about 10 minutes away. Still has half a tank of gas.
I'll drive it again on Friday. Saving a lot on gas money and mileage though. lol