What does this part do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Racer_X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is the led array and beeper for the rear bumper proximity sensors. My '09 had this and I loved it. My '17 doesn't have it and I want to add it.

Sent from my hammer and chisel using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

Capncark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Indeed. @patchelect linked me to the part page. Thanks for the replies. Didnt know it was the beeper too. Anyone know how I could test mine? Can't find a schematic for the pinout and I'm not getting anything from a continuity test.

Canadees

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know this is dated, however, I just wanted to revive this to provide a solution. My 2009 dodge sunroof leaked and water collected in the park assist display, shorting it out. I could tell by the chirping noise it was making when I turned n the truck as well as by the Service Park Assist msg, the light in the switch and the lack of the usual beeping while backing up to something.
Went to the dealer, who recommended changing all the rear bumper sensors, at 149 bucks a piece, then change the module at 249 bucks and finally change the display at 190 bucks. Labor would be another 300 bucks or so.

I completed my own assessment of the system, based on forum posts, etc. and determined that my bumper sensors where all working, the module was operating normally, no wiring issues under the truck or in the roof liner. What I found was that the display unit at the back of the cab collected water and shorted it out. After removing the display unit, which just clips out by pulling the left side down and sliding the unit left, I was able to disconnect the tiny plug and take it inside for diagnosis. I disassembled the unit carefully. The plastic clips holding it together are delicate, so use care and patience. The parts label and felt pieces glued onto the unit hide some of the clips.

Due to the water collecting on the circuit board and plug, corrosion started to accumulate and shorted out the pins on the board itself. I used an electronic cleaning solution to remove the corrosion, dried out the board thoroughly. Fortunately I was able to resurrect the board and after reinstalling it, the fault disappeared and the park assist works as advertised.

You can now buy these display units at various venders, part no 56046042AA for around 80 bucks. Works for a variety of Chrysler products. If your module is shot, try 56054151AE for around 190 bucks. Install is easy and will save you a small fortune compared to the stealers.

Just my two cents.

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a 2006 Pacifica that has a part like that. It has backup sensors. When you back to towards a wall, as you get closer, light start to come on. More lights as you get closer.

On my 2017 Ram, there is a display in the dash that does the same thing.

I believe that is for the backup sensor for that year. Probably is just unplugged, I bet there a wire up in the headliner to connect.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye