What injectors should I get???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
As you can probably guess by the title I am looking at getting injectors as my next mod. Soooooooooo with that said I would like to know opinions and options for what I am wanting. My current build here is what I have performance wise.

Motor:
Stock HX35 Turbo
Stock intercooler
Reman VP44 Pump
S&B Cold air intake with paper filter
4" Turbo Back exhaust Straight pipe
Edge Juice with Attitude
Raptor 100 Lift Pump set to 19PSI

I believe that is all that is done motor wise.

Now here is what I use the truck for. I have a mud truck that many of you have probably seen. So I tow that truck at least once a month with a total weight of truck and trailer somewhere in the neighborhood of 8100#
I also have friends that demolition derby and for 3 months out of the year I am hauling cars every weekend. So I want some injectors that are going to be able to give me that extra umph off the line while I tow.

So this is my goal. I want to have that extra punch off the line empty or loaded. I would like to maybe pick up some MPG from my current 18.4 I also would like the wow factor of a little more smoke than just the puff I get now. I want a good balance of performance and smoke. Now I know smoke is a touchy subject. But I would like the wow factor if I want it. I am more interested in the mpg and performance. This is one reason why I am not just picking the biggest injector and having it put in to black out the sky. That is not my intent here. Now if that is a side affect of more power then I'm ok with it haha. But mainly since I do lots of towing I am more looking at injectors as a performance increase that will be helpful in multiple areas.

now for the research that I have done so far. I have found that 50hp stick can smoke less than stock. Not really what I want but I won't turn them down just on the smoke factor alone. I am actually leaning to 100hp sticks. I have read where people will go and throw 120 sticks and 200 sticks in a stock engine and blow it sky high or melt it down. So I am a bit cautious about going that big. But having also read many success stories I'm willing to consider the big sticks. I want to find the best bang for my buck and make my truck make good power and make it last a long time.

All thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated! I am still learning the principals behind the diesel power world. I hope I can find a mod that will give me all 3 of the things I want. That is why I decided to go sticks before turbo. I do know that means some higher EGT's but my question is how much higher? I cruise right now in the 95*heat at about 690 at 60mph. Drops to around 590-620 on the highway at 70mph.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
im assuming you plan on upgrading the turbo? 100 sticks on a stock turbo, i wouldnt tow with it. your egt's will be up there. if you want the 100 sticks, do the turbo at the same time. if your staying stock turbo, i would say no higher than 75's. personally, i would go 50's to play it safe, but thats just me.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
you can usually find the rv275's for a good deal and i think those around around 30-40 sticks. maybe run those until you get a bigger turbo then get the 100's. people are always looking for the rv275's so youll be able to unload them quick when the time comes.

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
That's the second time someone has brought up the 275's I believe they are a 45 stick. And yes I am going to be stock for a little bit. I'm looking to save for a turbo. I have been hearing about the super B turbo. I thought about maybe picking up an hx40 off a newer cummins. But I'm not sure that will be right. Before I do the Turbo though I am gonna stud the head. I'm just looking for a good all around injector right now to prep for a turbo. I would love to have all 3 things. Smoke Power and MPG but I know there isn't a magical recipe for that haha

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
ive never heard anyone say anything negative about the rv275's. you should pick up some power and mpg's with them too. maybe a little more haze when to hit it, but def not a smoke show. 100's on a stock truck is just too much. save up and them with the turbo.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
on a side note, do you have a full set of gauges in your truck (boost,egt,trans temp,fuel press.)? thats really the first thing you should have before you start modding.

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Well I got the truck partially modded. I have the edge juice so I have EGT, Trans, Fuel, and Boost showing. I've been using those. The edge is the only mod I have done to the truck since I got it.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
if you dont plan on towing, you can probably get away with 100hp sticks on a stock turbo, unless you want to push the turbo, but then youll be buying a turbo sooner than you want. but towing with stock turbo on 100's, i think your egt's are going to be too high for comfort. you also have to remember smoke does not equal power, its wasted fuel, which is the opposite of MPG's, which you said is one thing that your looking for. the reason rv275's dont smoke more than the stock injectors in your truck is the fact that they are stock injectors on the 6bt in marine/rv applications.