What is code U1418?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MF2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I scanned it and says unknown, but a search on the internet shows it as implausible rear abs wheel speed sensor or something along those lines. I looked at two videos on youtube for some older Rams and I think I narrowed it down to two locations. One is on the right rear near the brake caliper and the other sensor is on the output shaft of the tranny. Does anyone know for sure which is correct ?

OP
OP
M

MF2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also want to add that the ESP-BAS/traction control and ABS light is on when I get the code. The code goes away when the lights randomly go off.....sometimes a few minutes or a few days. The cruise control doesn't work during this time either.

I have it scheduled to be looked at by the dealer on Monday, but I want to try to figure it out beforehand.

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i have the same code. usually they can replace the wheel speed sensor and that will be it but if you read some of my earlier posts ive been having problems with this for about 2 months now. Ive had two wheel speed sensors replaced and my pcm and problem is still there and dealer is now trying to make all sorts of excuses as to why its my fault the problem is there

OP
OP
M

MF2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know if this is a coincidence, but I removed my tune and pushed/pulled and inspected the speed sensor and I haven't gotten the code again. Now I don't know if the tune was causing it or the sensor. I didn't see anything wrong with the sensor or wiring, but it sure seems strange. I hate riding without my tune, so I'm going to reinstall it tomorrow and hope the code doesn't come back.

sledsmacker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
RAM Sport
I am having the same issue with my 2010 RAM Sport. Initially I had DTC U1417 - abs lights, trac control, SVC 4x4 and ESP lights on. Now also have the U1418. Codes are for left & right implausible distance signal - in essence wheel speed/abs sensors. Seems odd to me tho that both sides would go at the same time. Cannot find much info on these DTC' for the 4th gen Ram when searching internet and not gonna just start throwing parts at the truck for no good reason. Any feedback or suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Goatman91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just starting having this exact same problem. Did yall find a solution?

Fishman1113

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone of you all know the cause of this? I’m having the same issues. Wondering if it’s my tune or something else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
For FCA vehicles it's an implausible right wheel distance signal. You may get a CEL and/or an ABS and traction control warning light.

One way to try and clear the code is to go out to your truck, start it, and rotate your steering wheel all the way to the left (to lock) then all the way to the right (to lock) and repeat that sequence 3 times.

If the wheel sensor is still in good condition this resets it.

Fishman1113

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For FCA vehicles it's an implausible right wheel distance signal. You may get a CEL and/or an ABS and traction control warning light.

One way to try and clear the code is to go out to your truck, start it, and rotate your steering wheel all the way to the left (to lock) then all the way to the right (to lock) and repeat that sequence 3 times.

If the wheel sensor is still in good condition this resets it.

Great thanks! I’ll try that when it happens again.

rwreuter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Let us know if this fixes your issue please.

homeguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a very similar code with my JKU it said the same and it ended up being the speed sensors. I actually had to do both front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pilgrim6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Remember that a code simply indicates a fault, or a reading that is outside the expected range for a given sensor. It MAY the the sensor, but it could be a bad connection, or a cut wire.----anywhere in the path.

Fishman1113

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I reset my tuner and it seemed to help. I turned off the tuner and restarted it. I did have the code come up one more time the next day. But not on seemingly every bump in the road. A new problem started occurring on my way home from the mountains this weekend. I was running with the cruise control on. When I would hit a big enough bump the cruise would stop as if I hit the cancel button. The cruise was still on but not set like it should have been. Wondering if this is connected? Would it still likely be a wheel sensor or a wiring issue?