What kind of spark plugs do you use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
Alright so I was curious and was wondering what all these different plugs mean. Like they got copper and platinum, double plat, and iridium, basically all i found was that they each last longer then the predecessor. But another thing I found was that copper plugs have the best spark and other things I can't remember right now. Which ended with that in the end they produce more power and fuel efficiency then other plugs but don't last as long and need matinance more often. How much of this is true do any of you notice a better throttle response with copper over platinum, double plat, ect.? Better gas millage? What are y'alls opinions on this and what do you notice with what you use.

On a side note I also read that hemi's were designed to be used more efficiently with copper plugs and that anything other than copper plugs will actually cause a slight loss in power and fuel efficiency.
If anyone can confirm that this is true please comment or if you know for a fact what I read is b.s. then tell me it's b.s. lol

OP
OP
Ian_Olivas

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
I have the 4.7l v8 if y'all want to know what i have and my Manual actually says to use the RC12MCC4 plugs with turn out to be the champion copper spark plugs.

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a 2004 Ram hemi and I use oem copper plugs. Never tried other plugs so I cannot compare.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The hemi pretty much has to use copper plugs. The 4.7 I'm not sure if it has the same issues with iridium plugs, but personally I would just put copper plugs in it as well and just change them every 30k miles. At least you only have to change 8, not 16 lol

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Copper plugs are oem, and recommend changing every 30k miles.

OP
OP
Ian_Olivas

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
That is very true. 16 plugs is just a hassle lol I helped my uncle change hmoit his on his hemi and that's when I found out they had 16 lol I think I was 12 then and I've been using platinum and iridium but I'm going to try copper plugs and see if it runs different from the others I'll let you guys know if I can any difference between them on my old ads truck. I'm kind of hoping the copper ones will be the secret to where that 300+ miles to the tank that my dad says he used to get in the truck went because I could use that

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck gets about 340 to the tank with my truck.

427invader

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an 04 Ram 1500 with the 5.7L Hemi. I took the 16 old copper plugs out and replaced them with the NGK IX Irridium plugs. I immediately noticed less of my Hemi tick and have had them in for 8 years now. I notice a slight fuel economy drop from 19.7 mpg to 17.6 (city) and 23.2 mpg to 21.8 (hwy). I am in the process of ordering MSD coil packs and another set of the irridium plugs. I don't know that I would go back to copper plugs unless I had to change them and couldn't afford the irridiums.

Last edited: