What kind of whacky AC/Heat issue is this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnRBurke2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8 Magnum
Hi have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 sport.

I have dealt with this for the last year or so but want to fix it now.

ISSUES:

1) My AC does not work. The fan blows strong but only heat, even when AC is selected.

2) My heat does not turn off. It is always on and blows harder when I accelerate aggressively.

3) The fan only blows from the floor and defrost, not from the dash.

4) I burn through coolant really quickly. There is no leaking. It just evaporates or something. I can smell it at times when running a full reservoir.

Help super heroes of the ram forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Heater core has a pinhole leak. That's where your coolant is going.

Heat thing sounds like a vacuum leak and blend door failure. What sucks is more than likely this is inside the dash. Less ****** part is you'll be in there anyways to do the heater core lol

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
I would guess there is more than one problem. Low vacuum (hard accell) will equate to the default setting of defrost as well as a vacuum leak. As for leakage, heater core or even possible head gasket? Good luck and let us know what you find.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Heater core has a pinhole leak. That's where your coolant is going.

Heat thing sounds like a vacuum leak and blend door failure. What sucks is more than likely this is inside the dash. Less ****** part is you'll be in there anyways to do the heater core lol

^^^ This ^^^