What mods to blow $$$ on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramski1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So, Ive only got about a month left on my deployment and I wanna spend some of the cash I've been saving on my truck. I have a black 2012 ram 1500 express 4X4. I already have a K&N CAI. I can't decide whether I want to go with a tuner and a mufflex and possibly a catch can. Or just go with the mufflex and spend some money on subs and an amp for under the bench seat. I'm back and forth on the tuner just because I don't to void the warranty. They say you can just put the factory tune back, but my buddy said at the dealership he worked at for BMW it always left a footprint. My buddy also tried talking me into just spending the big bucks on a supercharger lol, but from what it sounds like is there aren't any available for the 2012 yet. So any ideas?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I would go the performance route. Grab yourself a tuner, swap that muffler out and add the catch can. Thats a great combo and it will compliment your intake nicely.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
catch can, ported TB and tuner.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would start with a Mufflex right off. The truck just sounds SO MUCH better with one.

I'm really tempted to get a tuner myself, not really worried about the warranty portion, but I'm kind of worried what it might do to my MPGs.

I'd go Mufflex and Bass. (I have a SoloBaric waiting for install currently).
Next purchase will likely be a Trinity or InTune.

kschaefer426

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
im over here for another 3 ish months and ive been spendin all my money with matt at moes performance...he really knows his stuff and hes got the lowest prices ive seen...not to mention hes been great at shipping everything to my dads and keeping an eye on all my orders while im here...im def all about the performance mods, a diablo tuner (possibly a hemi fever tune), magnaflow 14", catch can are all good mods

Low2HighRise

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice to see all the military members, I'm deploying within the new couple weeks. I'll be sure to hit up Matt, heard nothing but good things

bloombloom88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just a little input for guys wondering if a tuner will change gas Milage or not.

The last tank of gas before ANY mods period I got 15.8 mpg all city driving. Now I'm running a performance 93 tune with my superchips, a airaid CAI, ported TB and borla catback, right now I'm at 15.5 mpg on this tank of gas, all city driving.

I have a 4.7 with 3.55s in the rear

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons make you fat...

gmzvip23

Reaction score
Ram Year
2k12
Engine
I know you said not to void warranty but i have a 2012 express and i want to do a stall converter.

bloombloom88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know you said not to void warranty but i have a 2012 express and i want to do a stall converter.

The converter won't void the warranty as far as I know. The edge converters are identical to the factory converters, so if the dealer has to drop the tranny for anything, I don't think they will tell a difference

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons make you fat...

Eric

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 4X4 Outdoorsmen Crew Cab
Engine
HEMI 5.7
What is the purpose of a catch can?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
A catch can is a necessity IMO on all 4th gen trucks. The EPA now requires that all excess crankcase pressure be recirculated through your intake and burned off again through your motor. The downside to this is that the harder you drive your truck, the more oil and hot air is being pumped into your intake. This is both bad for performance and the longevity of your motor. On top of that, when that oil mixes with with your fuel, it lowers the overall octane level of the fuel. This is a big cause of spark knock which causes your computer to pull timing and lose power. I just installed a ported throttle body for a local customer this evening, and the back of his TB was completely black and oil was dripping off of it when we removed it. If this buildup gets too bad, it will throw a check engine light and put your truck into limp mode. For about $130, you can have a much cleaner and better running engine, so it is a no brainer in my eyes.

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
I totaly agree, Matt. I emptied mine again the other day and was probably three quarters full. Not exaggerating one bit. And only 1500-2000 miles maybe since last time I emptied it. I do drive mine real hard. It is the single best mod anyone can do. I have cleaned throttle bodies before that had that crap on them and really didnt know where it came from, until this forum educated me. This is not just a feel good mod. It actually works. I dont think you will find one person on here that has one that isn't super glad they got it. Especially if they are driving their trucks hard. BTW, I messaged you about a filter.

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
yep