What to expect for a price?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alright, so now that I'm going to supply the piping, how much do you think the shop is going to charge me for bending it? The pipe is going to be around 7ft long. They wanted 220 for taking one of their own pipes and bending it but now I will supply the pipe. I bought the pipe so I could save a fair amount of money so they won't charge me an arm and a leg for using their own pipe and bending it. I don't want them to try and pull a fast one so what would be a reasonable price to have something like this done?

kajunboy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
probably 200 because they arent supplying the pipe.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
My guess is $250. Shops hate a customer to bring in their own pieces if they have the same piece on hand. Whenever I supply parts I talk to the shop before hand and they usually agree it is best I bring my own parts so they don't get the wrong stuff. I'm very **** about my truck and have walked out of more than a few because of attitude both mine and theirs or I wasn't comfortable about something I saw or felt. But that's me....

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
nah they won't charge more than 220. He quoted me for 220 if they took one of their pipes, cut it and bent it. But I'm going to bring the pipe so all they have to do is bend it...I'm not sure if there was any confusion. :confused:

kajunboy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
they wont take much off. best bet is to get a buddy or someone to do it.
the pipe isnt that expensive. they might "say" it was harder than expected and charge more labor

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe I will stop by the shop tomorrow and talk to him and get a quote..I thought it would take off a reasonable amount

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
I have seen signs in shops stating labor charges,
Shop hourly rate $65
Shop hourly rate if customer helps $85

It is always good when using a shop to have a connection and talk with them about what you want and how best to achieve it. Discuss materials, specific parts, time frame and costs. If there is a budget, state it clearly before hand. Make several trips to see if you are comfortable with what and how they work on customers vehicles. If you aren't happy about something talk to them about what you expect. If you becoe uncomfortable with the shop, learn the lessons and move on to another shop. The problem I have is I will not let anyone touch my truck without me standing there to at least watch. I didn't do this at the dealer and ended up with a ****** up PCM and the mechanic joy riding. That won't happen again.

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Duane from 3rd strike performance said it should save a significant amount of money, if they charge me a lot I'll ask other shops. The whole point of me buying the pipe was so that they don't have to use their own parts. It would make no sense to charge me the same amount they offered me in the beginning if they aren't supplying the part anymore.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Steve, I understand what you are thinking, but the shops need to make money and part of them being in business is selling parts and materials to do a complete job. If you take away the profit made on materials the labor rate may be higher to offset the loss. Your thinking is a little like taking your own food to a resturant. Now, if you are friends and the guy isn't trying to make profit off of you it is a differnt ball game. Just talk to the shop before comitting and see how they feel about you having the parts.

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alright..I'm just pumped to get this muffler and cutout on ASAP lol

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Alot of shops will take it as a slap in the face and jerk you around bud unless you know them.

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alright, I'll stop in a talk to him tomorrow before I actually buy the pipe...I'll see what would be easier for them and the difference in price

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm just gonna say "look, I can get the appropriate amount of piping for "x" amount of dollars, how much would it cost if I had you guys supply the pipe and bend it compared to if I got the pipe and you bent it"

sound good? lol

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
I hear you, exhaust work is a great mod. when I first did my exhaust I went to a shop I didn't know and asked the guy if he would give me an estimate for the work. We had the truck on the rack and I showed him what I wanted. I asked if he could get a FlowMaster 50 series and he said yes but it would take a week. I wanted to get the work done sooner, what if I furnished the muffler? He readily agreed because he didn't want to chase parts and he would have the job the next day. He gave me a great deal because we work together on the solution and he made some money. The trick is to know exactly what you want and show them how you want it done. The second time around it was much more complicated, but still the muffler shop prefered that I provide the muffler so it would be exactly what I wanted. I worked with them under the truck to have it all the way I wanted and had to pay for that service. But paying a little more and having it right is much cheaper than doing it a second or third time.

dsc00421web.jpg

dsc00424web.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I was also gonna order a muffler and have that put on too..but I'm not sure if I should have them do it or have my neighbor put everything on. I'm gonna put a cutout on there behind the muffler but I don't know if the shop would do that so I'm leaning toward going to my neighbor for the whole thing..I definitely need the shop to bend the pipe AT LEAST. I know they need to make a profit, but what's the difference between that, and manipulating me and charging me more than the job is worth?

Last edited:

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
What's the purpose of a cutout behind the muffler. If you have someone who can do the work, by all means have them do it. You might even be able to use all mandel bent pieces to really make a nice system.

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Because I know I can trust my neighbor to give me a reasonable price compared to a shop I've never been to before. I would want to be in there, just like you were if they installed everything though...I would have to ask how much they would charge to install the whole thing, I understand it's the most logical thing to do since I'm already there, I just don't want to get ripped off lol

Last edited:

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Because I know I can trust my neighbor to give me a reasonable price compared to a shop I've never been to before. I would want to be in there, just like you were if they installed everything though...I would have to ask how much they would charge to install the whole thing, I understand it's the most logical thing to do since I'm already there, I just don't want to get ripped off lol

I think you mis-read my post...

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can you clarify what you were asking? I thought you were asking why wouldn't I just have them install it at the shop while I'm there..or why not just use the piping from them?

Last edited: