What to look for

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CamelStyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So im trading in my '14 Ram sport for a '14 2500 Cummins 6.7 I6 its got 125,000KM on it. I only got mine up to 76k as a gasser.

Theyre offering me quite a bit for mine, but its a drive of 5 hours away, truck looks clean, no accidents and such. Is there anything in particular i should be looking for as ive never owned a diesel before? It's from a dealer.

PFA current truck
Fu5OJ7h.jpg

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
If it is stock, not much to look for in a Cummins with only 77k miles on it. If it as a dealer then I would ask if the VIN to verify all recalls have been done. There were a few minor ones on the front suspension and one for the water pump. The water pump recall seem to effect more people in snowy climates.

OP
OP
CamelStyle

CamelStyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Aright. It’s stock for the most part 6”bds lift on 35s. That’s all that I’m aware of,

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I forgot something. You also might want to take a look at the idle hours. it will be on the display next to the tire pressure screen. Make sure that the idle hours are no more 20-25% of total hours, but preferably much less with around 10-15% idle hours. With how many miles that are on that truck, I doubt it will be that much. I know a lot of people would rather buy something with low miles, but I would prefer to buy a diesel with higher mileage in comparison to its year because that means it was mostly run on the highway instead of idling or low speed city driving which is worse for diesels.

Last edited:

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If the is at a FCA dealer, have them pull the service, warranty and repair history for the truck. Review that to make sure all the technical service bulletins, recalls, etc...have been performed, determine what services were performed and see if there was any damage repaired.

Inspect the truck as you would any other used vehicle, look for damage, rust, uneven tire wear, etc...Check all electrical functions (lights, wipers, heater, radio, windows, seats, etc...). Get a printout of the equipment list from the dealer and use it to verify the VIN and the truck's equipment package & options.

Lastly, warm it up good and take it for a long drive, not just the 15 minute joy ride the sales group wants you to have. Check the brakes, engine temps, etc...

Good luck!