What's missing in my dash? (Pics)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eSCAPEist

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L (360ci.) V8 Magnum
Hey guys, just wondering of anyone knew exactly what's missing from the back of my upper "Power Outlet" switch in my 1998 Ram 1500 SLT Laramie 4X4. It hasn't worked since I got it, so I decided to investigate. There is a red mystery connector, and there are two wires (black/orange & red/yellow) that someone had taped up seperatly that are running from the same harness that the red connector is on. I am thinking that the two exposed wired seem to be missing some sort of connector to attach to the empty slot on the back of the "power outlet", but then what does the red connector go to? :hmm:

With removed power outlet:
image-1.jpg

image-2.jpg

Exposed Black/Orange wire & Red/Yellow wire:
image-3.jpg

The "mystery" red connector:
image-4.jpg

The empty socket on back of Power Outlet:
image-5.jpg

image-6.jpg

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
If I had to guess I'd say that the torn up wires are from the outlet. Do your foglights work?

OP
OP
eSCAPEist

eSCAPEist

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L (360ci.) V8 Magnum
If I had to guess I'd say that the torn up wires are from the outlet. Do your foglights work?

Thanks for a quick reply. Yeah, my fog lights work fine. My fog button is located in the same spot as the passenger air bag switch and there seems to be a nearly identical red connector for the fogs, but it's plugged in and working. These wires are coming from behind the power outlet above that?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Thanks for a quick reply. Yeah, my fog lights work fine. My fog button is located in the same spot as the passenger air bag switch and there seems to be a nearly identical red connector for the fogs, but it's plugged in and working. These wires are coming from behind the power outlet above that?
Alright, I'll be honest, I don't know what that plug is for, that's why I asked if your fogs were working. Have you put a multimeter on it to check voltage?

OP
OP
eSCAPEist

eSCAPEist

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L (360ci.) V8 Magnum
I don't have a multimeter available right now, but
I'll hit it with the ole' test light after work just to see what's drawing current and if either of the wires are constant - the two exposed wires should only be drawing current with the key "on" if that really is for the upper "power outlet" (the lower cigarette lighter is the one that draws a constant I believe). I'll report back to base once I check into that. I may be heading to the junkyard today for some things, so I'll eyeball a few interiors for reference and/or parts.

OP
OP
eSCAPEist

eSCAPEist

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L (360ci.) V8 Magnum
Success in the junkyard! I found the missing connector from the two exposed wires and it's a match. Pulled it from a 2001 Ram 1500 "power outlet". That answers half of my question. Here's a few pics of the harness I found:

image.jpg

image-8.jpg

image-7.jpg

Now, as for the mystery red harness - from the few 2G Ram 1500's I skimmed through at the junkyard, I didn't see any extra red connectors like mine has. Unless it belongs to another accessory elsewhere in the dash panel, I don't know what it goes too, and "frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn". The ones at the junkyard seemed to only have the same red connector for the fog light button, just like mine has. So as long as I don't find anything else that doesn't work, it won't bother me to never know what it is (yet I still find myself scratching my head). Maybe someone will stumble upon this thread and know exactly what my mystery connector goes to and I will go from there. In the meantime, I will check it out with my check light and see what it's current is up too when I go to replace my power outlet harness.

MoparMagic'00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
no genius here but maybe heated seats? I know in my pops 01 thats where the switch was for the heated seats..... but then again your power outlet goes there... interesting.. good luck man