Whats Wrong With My D150?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'll give you guys a play by play of what happened today.

I left the key turned on to listen to the radio today and forgot too turn it off.

I went back a couple hours later and it was dead, obviously.

I got jump started by a guy I work with, the truck started up fine and I kept it revved up as best I could to keep it from stalling, just In case.

About 10 minutes into the drive home it started losing power and then chugged to a stall.

I got boosted again and it started again

Same thing happened, it chugged to a stall except this time, it literally sounded like it was running on 1 or 2 cylinders. It sounded identical to a go kart.

Got boosted a third time and it started, but then chugged to a stall once again, but also back fired and puffed out a massive cloud of grey smoke.

Now, it can start only if I get boosted, but it will only stay running for a kilometer or two then the backfire and stall and smoke happens again.

SO is this related to my battery dying? It seems like these problems are unrelated... I hope it is not a timing belt problem. the "one cylinder" sound really worries me. Why would some of my cylinders and pistons disengage?
Thanks guys

PS: even if I let it idle, instead of driving, it stalls after about 30 seconds even if I am keeping the revs up fairly high

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
The battery died? Not sure what youre trying to ask here. You left the key on and the battery died, it happens.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Look at the sides of your battery. If they stick out it's time to change the battery.
Is the battery new? Have you tried another battery new/used?
How's the alternator?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i would put the battery on charge and then put it back in the truck and see if the truck is charging the battery. it almost sound like your battery is not being charged?

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Read it again.

You must have added more after i posted, my fault. It sounds like the battery is bad. I had a similar problem with mine and it ended up being a bad cell in the battery. Theres not enough voltage left from the alternator trying to charge the battery with the engine running so its just choking out. Try a battery from another vehicle just to verify your problem or take yours out and have it tested at a local parts store or repair shop.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
a battery with a bad cell should not effect the charging system. the truck should be able to run with out a battery at all if the charging system is doing its job.

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thank for the quick responses guys I appreciate your willingness to help a guy out all the time.

My dad discovered that the distributor cap was shot so he replaced it while I was at work, boosted it to start it up and there was no more loud bang with black smoke anymore. However the battery still dies but he also figured out that problem, which is a resistor that needs replacing. Hopefully that will fix the problem with killing the battery.
I'm so glad my dodge is still alive.... I was not ready to get rid of it!

Chawkmn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.9
Battery problem

It sounds like when you boosted the battery, your alternator died. when you boost it, it is running off of just the battery, until the voltage drops too low to keep the ignition functioning.

I would boost it, then remove the positive battery cable while it is running. if the engine dies when you remove the cable, the alternator, or regulator is bad. if it stays running, then the battery is bad.