Wheel cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tinybaum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What are you guys doing to keep your wheels clean?

I have the procomp 1069s and they are polished alloy? I use mothers, and a powerball, but its just not getting everything off, and small pits have surfaced ..

Suggestions? It drives me nuts!

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I spray the Turtle Wax in a flourescent green bottle. It seems to clean and protect. I try to keep up on the wheels so they don't need any heavy cleaning.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you considered a sealant such as Nu-Finish?
It's less temperature sensitive them a wax, lasts a long time and really helps keep a barrier from brake dust & road debris.
I apply it every spring (summer only wheels; year round, I'd suggest reapplying in fall) and have been REALLY happy with the results.

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
I don't use anything special, just try and was the truck at least twice per week and make sure the wheels are clean every time. These huge spokes make it pretty easy :naughty:

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use Never Dull, it's very good at removing oxidation, and overall cleaning. Then I hit them with some Fukken Wax for protection.

CumminsCrazed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins 24v
well, theres a few things you can do, it all depends on the current condition of your wheels. i know JJ will hate me for this, but im a FIRM believer in Meguiars, so thats what i stick to. Ive done semi-pro detailing for a few years now and know what does and doesnt work. Assuming your wheels are fairly clean and not pitted badly, or peeling clear coat off you can use some Meguiars Hot Rims Aluminum Wheel cleaner, which is the least harsh cleaner they use, you can also get away with the Meguiars Hot Rims All Wheel and Tire Cleaner, which is a more concentrated cleaner and also reformulated this year to also clean your tires. I personally use this on my vehicles, but have not yet used it on my Fuel wheels as im not sure whether the aluminum on them is coated or not. BUT it does work WONDERS for the tires. Note for yourself, if the wheels you have are UN COATED, DO NOT, i repeat DO NOT use the ALL wheel and tire cleaner, it is made for COATED wheels.

If your looking to remove pits, youll be hard pressed to do so, unless the wheels are UNCOATED, if your not sure, take some metal polish and apply it to the wheel, work it in really well and when you pull the pad or cloth off, if its black the wheels are not coated. My only last option for you for trying to remove pics would be to try the Meguiars Brilliant Solutions Wheel Polishing kit.

Now, once you get your wheels as good as you can for cleanliness etc, you can use any wax/sealant youd like on the wheels if their coated, if their NOT coated id recommend not as im unsure if it would effect the wheel or not, BUT there is a new product out that acts somewhat as a wax called Meguiars Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier and this is safe for ANY type r family of metal, coated or not. It will not actually REPEL the brake dust from getting on the wheel itself, but it WILL make it a HELL of a alot easier to come off, in some applications only a rinsing with water will remove the brake dust, or you may need to use just some of your favorite car wash soap/shampoo to lightly agitate the wheel to remove heavy brake dust. Either way, with this product youll never need to use a harsh wheel cleaner again, unless you let this product get removed over time and fail to re apply it.

Im hoping this helped ya some and gave you a little insight on a few diff methods to get your wheels where ya want em man.