When to do first oil change on new truck and which oil to use.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

merl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This isn't part of this discussion, I had a '76 Ford Squire wagon with a 460 c.i. engine (windsor), I started with 10w30 and about 45k I had to start using strait 40w with 2 pint's of stp. Had bad piston slap and bad rods and mains, I ran this car to 93k and then traded it, it was one wore out piece of crap. Sometimes heavier oil dosent help!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
My hole thing with running what FCA says is they are not being consistent.

1500 5.7, 5w20

2500 5.7, 5w30

2500 6.4, 0w40

IMO run what you feel is best after doing your reasch, I just dont think IMO your going to be wrong if choosing from those 3 choices.
again imo.
I have a2016 book it says 5w30 . I also have a 2018 book it says5w20 only

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did my 2018 yesterday for the first time at 800 miles. Filled with Pennzoil Ultra 5W-20 ans a Fram Ultra filter. Used a quart freezer bag and spilled only a small amount of oilbut that filter location is a P.I.T.A.

Yeah it is a pain where they put that filter and yes you’d think they woulda changed that somehow even considering that they’re using roughly the same motor design that they’ve used for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My hole thing with running what FCA says is they are not being consistent.

1500 5.7, 5w20

2500 5.7, 5w30

2500 6.4, 0w40

IMO run what you feel is best after doing your reasch, I just dont think IMO your going to be wrong if choosing from those 3 choices.
again imo.

In what model years are the 2500 5.7’s is the book saying to use 5w-30?

I don’t know what the difference is between the halfton 5.7 and the HD 5.7 but I can’t imagine they’re being a whole lot of difference. I dunno, maybe because the 2500 Hemi will be working a lot harder than the one they put in the 100’s? Also, what is the hp and torque difference between the 1500 and 2500 5.7?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
In what model years are the 2500 5.7’s is the book saying to use 5w-30?

I don’t know what the difference is between the halfton 5.7 and the HD 5.7 but I can’t imagine they’re being a whole lot of difference. I dunno, maybe because the 2500 Hemi will be working a lot harder than the one they put in the 100’s? Also, what is the hp and torque difference between the 1500 and 2500 5.7?

SAE Field test 922342, every ram forum member running 5w20 should avail themselves with that information. Read syn thread for more info on it.

Cliff Notes Version...

Bearing wear tended to be either low and unremarkable or very high, particularly in the thrust bearings depending if the oil was thin or not! Thin oils = VERY HIGH wear. And those were 0w20 and 20w20 tested in 25 taxi cabs.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
SAE Field test 922342, every ram forum member running 5w20 should avail themselves with that information. Read syn thread for more info on it.

Cliff Notes Version...

Bearing wear tended to be either low and unremarkable or very high, particularly in the thrust bearings depending if the oil was thin or not! Thin oils = VERY HIGH wear. And those were 0w20 and 20w20 tested in 25 taxi cabs.

Soooo... as long as I don’t sign myself and the Ram up for Uber, or just start using it as a straight up taxi, I oughta be fine on my 5w20?

Mazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hmm...on a new vehicle, I always do my first change at 1000 miles, then every 5K. i'll go to the dealer for my '18RAM for oil changes need to make sure my Hemi is nice and lubricated! :)

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Cliff Notes version
Soooo... as long as I don’t sign myself and the Ram up for Uber, or just start using it as a straight up taxi, I oughta be fine on my 5w20?

If that is what you took from that I'd say you will be as good as you wish to be. I seek to share info, I don't judge on oil selection.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cliff Notes version

If that is what you took from that I'd say you will be as good as you wish to be. I seek to share info, I don't judge on oil selection.

There’s no need to seem like you’re coming off sounding snippy but yes, that is pretty much what I took from that, was that as long as I don’t do any severe service- such as taxi cab use that, there’s probably nothing wrong with my agreement with the 5w20 recommendation of the manufacturer in my vehicle.

What cars were used in those tests? What oil brand? Oil change interval? What filter? What does all that have to do with my truck, and my motor?

Look man, I don’t doubt your intelligence when it comes to this topic, it’s just that I just haven’t really, yet to see any real world reasons of why 5w30 is so much better and why a lot of people think 5w20 is such a poor choice.

I think a lot of it is just a bit of being too old school-ish. I’m the same way I’m on certain things. Ram says I need to trust my OLM and change my oil accordingly that which, if I did, I’d be changing my oil at dang-near ten thousand miles. The first oil change I did- which was the truck’s second oil change, the one the dealer did, was in that motor for nearly 7,000 miles, and still had over 25% left on the OLM. Is that safe? Hell I dunno, maybe it is but that just goes against my own personal feelings as having quite a bit of moderate mechanical background that engine oil should not be used that long. 5000 to 5500 seems more reasonable to me.

My ex father in-law insisted on running 10w-30 in his wife’s late-90’s Pontiac Bonneville even though it said on the cap 5w-30, and he insisted on doing his oil changes in both that car, and in his 01 Powerstroke at 3000 miles, just despite he was using top-quality synthetic oil. Was that all necessary? Overkill? I just always thought of it as a wast of money but that was just me.

As I’ve said said before, I’ve always used 5-20 in the old truck without issue. Not saying that 5-30 wouldn’t be better, I just don’t see it’s advantage.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'm the one sounding snippy? lol Better you should go back and reread my first post and your first post. you would likely see that because it sounded like something you disagreed with, you put some whack ass statement up, as if the gov't run test on wear and viscosity has nothing to do with you because you aren't running a taxi, lol. cmon man.

Run what you want, I found a document from your gov't and a test they have done that showed it matters a lot as far as wear goes. And if you read the link you will see if you are interested in your questions you can purchase the test with full data and white paper.

28 bucks digital or print, if you are a member you receive 43% off list price.

Last edited:
OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm the one sounding snippy? lol Better you should go back and reread my first post and your first post. you would likely see that because it sounded like something you disagreed with, you put some whack ass statement up, as if the gov't run test on wear and viscosity has nothing to do with you because you aren't running a taxi, lol. cmon man.

I didn’t say you were, I just said that there was no need to sound like you were coming off that way with what you said in response to what I said. If you weren’t then great. And neither was I.

But hey, you’re the one that posted that, bub. And it was something I disagreed with at the time but I still don’t see how that test..... has anything to do with my truck and how I run it, when I don’t run it in such a manner.

Run what you want, I found a document from your gov't and a test they have done that showed it matters a lot as far as wear goes. And if you read the link you will see if you are interested in your questions you can purchase the test with full data and white paper.

28 bucks digital or print, if you are a member you receive 43% off list price.
So just because that’s supposedly a government-run test that all the sudden it’s to be recognized?....lol. Let’s not forget that we have another government agency that’s responsible for all that ******** emissions crap now. It’s called the EPA....[emoji849]

I will run what I want, pretty much what I have been running for a very long time with no issues. Again, I just don’t see how 5-30 is so much better, especially for mild service.

Last edited: