Which DEF

Discussion in '6.7 Common Rail' started by jk6672, Oct 20, 2016.

1. jk6672

jk6672 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Diesel
    I need a little advice on DEF, I have 2.2k miles on mine and I need to start thinking about which DEF to use. Which brand do you guys use? A buddy of mine also has a 3500, and he said I better us Ultrapure or I'm asking for problems. He said his system needed to be replaced because he didn't use Ultrapure from the get go. Is there any truth to sticking to certain brands?

2. archerr2002

archerr2002 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I have a 2015 CTD with just about 16K on it. I have been using Blue DEF with no problems since day 1.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

DaKing likes this.
  3. CDN Ram

CDN Ram Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2014 Laramie
    Engine:
    6.7L CTD
    I have a 2014 3500, and I have used about a dozen different types over the 2 years, found no difference between one or the other. Just make sure you look at the production date as DEF has a shelf life. But it is VERY easy to empty the DEF tank if you think your getting on the bad side of the shelf life. I have emptied mine once took about 5 minutes that was after about 12 months of the DEF in the tank, I know people will say I didn't need to empty it but at the price of DEF its easier to dump year old DEF than have to worry about it crystalizing in the tank and system.

ramd likes this.
  4. FireRob

FireRob Member

Ram Year:
    2016 3500 DRW Longhorn
    Engine:
    Cummins 6.7 AISIN 4.10
    I have had two differnt trucks that used DEF, in both I have used at least three different brands of DEF when using it from a jug. I have filled up at several gas stations and truck stops and had no clue what "brand" I was pumping into my tank. So far knock on wood not a single problem with DEF issues. If I was low and needed to add some I wouldn't hesitate based on brand. When I first got my first DEF truck I would try and locate the manufactured date or expiration date on the box (if I could even find it) and get the "fresh stuff". That lasted about a year and now I just grab one off the self and don't bother looking for a date.

5. BWC

BWC Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Cummins
    Blue DEF has been working for me what I've put it in

6. hounddog

hounddog Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2017 laramie 2500 credit cab 4x4 cummins
    Engine:
    6.7 Cummins
    There are only a couple manufacturers of Def. Most of it is just branding and comes from the same tanks.

Just make sure it's reasonably fresh and you're good.