Which hand-held tuner is the best for a 2008 Hemi?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FSUNole17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just purchased a 2008 Ram 1500 Sport w/ Hemi and am wanting to disable the MDS for sure, but I have never used a hand-held programmer before and was wondering which one is the best out there and has the most features? I am not looking to make the best track times or anything, just improve efficiency of the truck for every day driving. Thanks!

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
welcome to RF. For what you want a superchips would do the trick

OP
OP
F

FSUNole17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What makes the ones like Diablosport, Superchips, Hypertech, etc. different from each other? I kinda figured they would all do the same things. I am not an experienced tuner by any means so messing with timing, shift points, etc. I would want to leave to an expert, unless those are hard to do as well. Is it easy to do it yourself if you are not experienced? I do not want to screw anything up

TheSatinPumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
5.7L
BIG differences depends on your plans?
Diablo for custom/CMR pcm/tcm tuning/good datalogging options
SC3865 for custom tcm tuning
SCT - custom pcm tuning

Diablo and Superchips have good octane level canned tunes as well as other features. but above are the big differences imo

Last edited:

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i know the diablo and superchips will disable mds, not sure about the hypertech. From what i have seen the hypertech is not as good as the superchips or diablo. Diablo tuners allow you to use custom tunes which makes it better if you are going to do more significant motor mods like cam, headers, etc.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
^ this...

Welcome to RF..

You could also try doing a search on this forum about it, I know this is a common question asked

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
D nailed it. Whats your plans for the truck?

OP
OP
F

FSUNole17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, thank you guys for such fast responses!

Plans for the truck are 99% stock. I am going to weld in a Magnaflow SI/SO muffler in place of the factory trash can one and at the same time improve the merge of the Y. I got under there the other day and almost threw up.

I am going to leave the engine and suspension alone, so really just exhaust at the moment.

I noticed at the back of the exhaust just before the exit tip, a box looking type thing. Is this a secondary muffler and if so, should this be eliminated too? I am going for efficiency of the exhaust system, not sound. I want it to be slightly louder than stock with a "meaner" tone but loud is not for me.

Thanks fellas

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Prob seeing the resonator. Either DSP or SC will be your best bet then.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
yea that is a resonator. Many people have removed that.

OP
OP
F

FSUNole17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does the resonator restrict flow in any way like the muffler? What does the inside of one look like?

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got my super chips specifically for disabling the mds. I also had the resonator removed when I had my exhaust done. Not sure of its specific function though.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Check out our vendor SuperChips and do some reading .. Allot of the hemi guys love it .

OP
OP
F

FSUNole17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to RF!!! You in tallahassee? Or just like the noles?

Droid Incredible 2 on the move!!!

Hey there, Swamp, no I am in Tennessee but love FSU. I went there my freshman year back in 2001 before transferring to play baseball.