Which standard does RAM use for trailer plug wiring?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
There are three separate standards or configurations for 7-pin wiring for trailer connectors. There’s SAE—for utility/cargo trailers, RV Standard—used for travel trailers and 5th wheel trailers, and 7-way Heavy-Duty—used for commercial and agricultural trailers. I am assuming my 2016 Ram is using the first standard, but hoping someone here knows for sure. And yes, I’m too lazy to crawl underneath and check the wire colors on the back side of the connector.

Also, does anyone make adapters to cross over between standards? I will be switching between utility and travel trailers...

Thanks,
DG

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Look on the plug cover there is a wiring diagram on it for the 7 pin plug.

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
AFAIK the pinout is the same between utility and RV trailers, merely the wire colors are different. Having the exact same plug with different pinouts would be a major design blunder.
There are adapters for the heavy duty round pin connections in case that's ever needed.

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Not sure if the Ram 7way plug has different "standards" compared to any other 7way plug?

I do know the Ram plug provides 12v power at the plug when running (GM does not stock, unless you add a relay or connect a fuse), also provision for trailer reverse lights are there if your trailer is so equipped.

The factory trailer brake controller provides settings for Heavy/Light and Electric/Electric Over Hydraulic type trailer brakes.

If i had to guess its "standard", I would say it covers all of them.

OP
OP
R

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thanks to everyone for the responses. What triggered the question was an attempt to wire a 7-pin connector onto a travel trailer and having nothing working when done. With the suggestions from here and some additional internet digging we figured out that all the pin functions are in the same place on both the travel trailer and utility trailer connectors, but the travel trailer industry uses different wire colors for the various functions. For example, the yellow wire on a utility trailer is left turn and stop, but on a travel trailer yellow is reverse lights and on a different pin location on the 7-pin connector. But, the pin location for LT/Stop is the same—only the wire color is different on the travel trailer. I found this page that explains it well:
https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

Anyway, with the TT wiring connected correctly to the 7-pin connected everything now works like it should and either trailer can be plugged in and work correctly. Thanks for the help!
Best,
DG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
austmurr