Why is the cummins soo slow

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty' started by jstacey8, Mar 13, 2016.

1. jstacey8

jstacey8 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    hemi 5.7
    Tried out a new cummins yesterday and was quite let down with the performance. I know it can pretty much haul a house but as far as merging onto the highway it's like I'm in my old ford ranger. Do deletes and a tune really wake these up or do they need more exstesive work to wake the sleeping giant :naughty:

2. charonblk07

charonblk07 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    F1-A forged 349ci
    It's a night and day difference with deletes and a tune. The emissions really kill the power on the diesels if you're looking for 'fun power' but the engines will still pull a metric crap tonne of weight with the emissions intact.

brandonjansen and gofishn like this.
  3. jstacey8

jstacey8 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    hemi 5.7
    I'm just looking to have some good all around power Im not looking to have something that will boil the tires off at 50 but it it could atleast set you back in your seat some id be happy

4. kg93

kg93 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    lol if i bought a cummins(wish i could afford one) I would have it at a shop getting stacks and deleted in the first week....yes im the guy who would have stacks, love that shit lol

5. spoon059

spoon059 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.7 CTD
    Its slow because it has lower HP than either hemi and the diesel is designed to spend most of its time in the lower RPM range, not up high where the HP is made. I didn't buy a Cummins to race, I bought it to pull a trailer.

That being said, when you are merging on to a highway and stomp on the pedal and the turbo's start to spool it will push you back in your seat and get up and go... as good as 7000 lbs can get up and go.

If you want a race car, look at the Hellcat.

BossHogg, w6pea and THETANK like this.
  6. MN-Ram

MN-Ram Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4L Hemi
    My friend has a 2015 Outdoorsman with the Cummins, and he just got the new PCM flash. He said the truck has more power than ever before. But you would think the 2016 Rams would already have that update.

I got a similar PCM flash on my 6.4 Hemi, and I gained a noticeable amount of acceleration when I drove it out of the dealership.

7. tjfdesmo

tjfdesmo Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    2015 2500 CCSB 4x4 6.4 Hemi
    A lot of it also has to do with torque management. The Cummins is a tall-deck, long-armed work motor. It's not a high winder by design. Tow heavy for a while, and you'll quickly learn to appreciate what it is all about. Otherwise, you're sorta barking up the wrong tree IMHO.

BossHogg, Devin1349, THETANK and 3 others like this.
  8. Underarock13

Underarock13 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Ram 2500 14
    Engine:
    6.4 hemi
    Because you need to quit eating Big Macs before test driving vehicles... Lol j/k

PCT, Devin1349, sbuko213 and 2 others like this.
  9. TWILLIAMS9

TWILLIAMS9 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I originally wanted a cummins but the price kind of made me uneasy as I didn't have a NEED for one and did not plan on having a trailer for awhile. Test drove one and thought the same, maybe it is because I am unfamiliar with them and have never towed with one. I drove the 6.4 and thought wow this is powerful. Now that I have my trailer I want to get the diesel. The 6.4 can yank it all day, I just want that ease of pulling the diesel and exhaust brake give you while towing.

w6pea likes this.
  10. w6pea

w6pea Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2016 Ram 2500 4x2 CC/LB SRW 6.7L CTD Laramie"
    Engine:
    6.7L IL6 Cummins Turbo Diesel
    I have to agree with this statement. There is an Apples to Oranges difference between the 6.4L Hemi and the 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel !
    I wanted a 4x4 but it ended up being more of a want than a need.

You want a "Drag Racer buy the "Hemi". You want Pulling Power and Torque buy the "Cummins Turbo Diesel" .
    There is a learning curve to both.
    Good Luck.
    If you are starting to look at new trucks you will probably end up with Analysis Paralysis !

Devin1349 likes this.