Why is the cummins soo slow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Yeah well mines not stock and has 3:73 gears..lol I am sure those 3:42s hurt the performance of that big heavy truck.

And I have out run a 5.7 before.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
My buddy just got his cummins yesterday (2016 cummins quad cab) and we lined them up stock vs stock and it was not even anywheres close to being a close race and I'm on 37's

Just got it & already drag racing it? What happened to breaking in your engine before doing something stupid like drag racing a HD truck. :idiot:

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
My buddy just got his cummins yesterday (2016 cummins quad cab) and we lined them up stock vs stock and it was not even anywheres close to being a close race and I'm on 37's

You might want to correct your story if you want to make it more believable. There is no such thing as a 2016 Ram HD quad cab. In fact, they haven't made a quad cab in the Ram HD's for years.

Although I would love to see the video of this. Then after you are done racing unloaded, why don't you strap a 15klb gooseneck trailer to each truck and see how close that race is. :happy175:

Last edited:

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
:console: I sure miss my '10 CTD! It was deleted and running a very clean "mild" 100hp tune and would not foal coal for nothing! She had 3.73's and would move with the quickness, only lost one "battle" and that's cuz I hit the governor. Towing, she pulled like a monster and my only concern was the tranny............the over drives anyway. 1st thru 4th could handle being abused, WOT downshifts at HWY speeds would worry me as the overdrive bands no likey!! Diesels are fun but you gotta pay if you really want to play.

The 3.42's and throttle lag are probably making the biggest difference these days............along with Trq Managment.

Last edited:

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
:console: I sure miss my '10 CTD! It was deleted and running a very clean "mild" 100hp tune and would not foal coal for nothing! She had 3.73's and would move with the quickness, only lost one "battle" and that's cuz I hit the governor. Towing, she pulled like a monster and my only concern was the tranny............the over drives anyway. 1st thru 4th could handle being abused, WOT downshifts at HWY speeds would worry me as the overdrive bands no likey!! Diesels are fun but you gotta pay if you really want to play.

The 3.42's and throttle lag are probably making the biggest difference these days............along with Trq Managment.

That's the down side of any automatic behind a diesel power house, a tuned one anyway. I would love to own a deleted 6.7 with a 6 speed manual but not in the cards right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You might want to correct your story if you want to make it more believable. There is no such thing as a 2016 Ram HD quad cab. In fact, they haven't made a quad cab in the Ram HD's for years.

Although I would love to see the video of this. Then after you are done racing unloaded, why don't you strap a 15klb gooseneck trailer to each truck and see how close that race is. :happy175:

oh oh someone's busted:favorites13:

Freed127

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I miss my 04 5.9 big red from time to time. The truck was great when i used it every day driving to work construction. But i started having issues when it sat weeks at a time when i got a company vehicle. The 6 speed manual was a blast driving and a 100 horse tune behind it deff made it fun. But the saying is true, diesel is money, when they break its expensive. I dont pull anything, so im back to a hemi now and happy. Both engines have there purpose. I just dont understand all these kids with diesels, if your not pulling something there is no need, but thats just my opinion

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 121

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I miss my 04 5.9 big red from time to time. The truck was great when i used it every day driving to work construction. But i started having issues when it sat weeks at a time when i got a company vehicle. The 6 speed manual was a blast driving and a 100 horse tune behind it deff made it fun. But the saying is true, diesel is money, when they break its expensive. I dont pull anything, so im back to a hemi now and happy. Both engines have there purpose. I just dont understand all these kids with diesels, if your not pulling something there is no need, but thats just my opinion

To us old folk you at 26 would fall under that "kids" category. :roflsquared:

Freed127

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To us old folk you at 26 would fall under that "kids" category. :roflsquared:

Im a mature 26 haha. And im talking about these "kids" that are in high school with diesels. Thats the cool thing around here anymore. I had one for driving 150+ work related miles a day. Plus i wasnt the coal rolling type, smarty jr on max was very clean on my truck.

OP
OP
J

jstacey8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Sorry my bad it's a four door or what ever they call it now and I never once said a hemi could pull more I said they are faster and the cummins is slow. Hence the title of this post hell I even stated a cummins could pull a house but I guess your reading skills are lacking :flipthebird:

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Sorry my bad it's a four door or what ever they call it now and I never once said a hemi could pull more I said they are faster and the cummins is slow. Hence the title of this post hell I even stated a cummins could pull a house but I guess your reading skills are lacking :flipthebird:

Uh-oh, seems like some little whippersnapper needs their diaper changed because they are getting a little too feisty for their britches.

I don't think my reading skills are lacking at all. After all, read perfectly fine that you stated you raced a 2016 quad cab Cummins even though they don't make quad cabs in the HD trucks anymore. Maybe your Ram truck knowledge or knowledge in general is lacking.

I also read the title just fine. You happen to think the Cummins is slow because you don't know how to drive one just as I so happen to think that your truck would be too slow towing my 14k trailer behind it. It is what it is; que sera, sera.

Oh, and thanks for saying I am number one. You really shouldn't have, but I will take the accolades.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jstacey8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Haha yeah sorry my bad I don't own a four door or what ever they call it now my bad. And clearly you have some reading problems. Once again I have driven quite a few diesels so yes I know how to drive one but thanks for your concern. Second of all if you wanna put some money on it I will be glad to take a video of my hemi beating a cummins in a unloaded race. I will state one more time for you because you seem to have a issue reading it I'm sure they can haul a house but as far as unloaded driving they seem to be very slow. Never once did I say or even hint at that they can't haul great or that my hemi was so much better simply just that they seem slow driving and my hemi is faster UNLOADED. You seem to be very upset that I said they were slow and I'm gunna guess your above the age of 30 and you still get butt hurt when someone says a cummins feels slow? You sir may need to revaluate your life....

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Haha yeah sorry my bad I don't own a four door or what ever they call it now my bad. And clearly you have some reading problems. Once again I have driven quite a few diesels so yes I know how to drive one but thanks for your concern.

Oh I read what you posted, actually believing you is another story. Sorry, but I have learned not to believe everything you see on the internet especially from a 19 year old that thinks a diesel is for racing and supposedly has access to all these new diesels.

Second of all if you wanna put some money on it I will be glad to take a video of my hemi beating a cummins in a unloaded race. I will state one more time for you because you seem to have a issue reading it I'm sure they can haul a house but as far as unloaded driving they seem to be very slow.

And I will state one more time because you seem to have an issue comprehending. I think your truck would be slow towing my 14k trailer so you gotta give and take. Someday you will learn that you can't have your cake and eat it too unless you want to pay for it.

Never once did I say or even hint at that they can't haul great or that my hemi was so much better simply just that they seem slow driving and my hemi is faster UNLOADED.

I never said you did. You made a statement saying that you think the Cummins is slow unloaded(because I believe you don't know how to drive a diesel) and I made a statement saying that I think your truck would be slow towing 14k lbs. The thing is, the Cummins is made for towing things like my 14k trailer and not going fast or maybe you haven't learned that yet with all these diesels you have driven.

You seem to be very upset that I said they were slow and I'm gunna guess your above the age of 30 and you still get butt hurt when someone says a cummins feels slow? You sir may need to revaluate your life....

Comical, a 19 year old who thinks diesels are made for racing is telling me that I need to re-evaluate my life. Son, I have the love of a great woman, a family that would go to the end of the earth for me, friends that would have my back in hell if I needed, I live in the best country on God's green earth while serving her proudly, and I use my truck for it's intended purpose. Trust me, I am not the one who needs to re-evaluate anything. Maybe you might need to re-evaluate what the purpose of a diesel is.

Last edited:

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Oh, and thanks for saying I am number one.

He wasn't indicating your number one, he was showing off his IQ.

I have driven quite a few diesels so yes I know how to drive one

Really? Your nineteen, your still trying to figure out why you have hair on your junk.

29 years ago, RAM made available the first Cummins diesel engine. Since then, diesel technology as well as power train technology continues to evolve, yearly. In your short driving history, how could you possibly have experienced the thousands of evolutionary changes made in individual engines and their characteristics from torque management to transmission behaviors, etc.? The question is rhetorical because the obvious answer is you couldn't.

OP
OP
J

jstacey8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Can you please tell me when I said my truck would even pull 14k? Because I never once did it hauled a car trailer and a regular cab long bed 1997 Ford F-150 and it was by no means fast what so ever. As far as not believing me why would I lie? Who do I have to impress on here? No one. Hell when I went to test drive the cummins I was hopeing like hell it would impress me so I could have a reason to buy one. As far as not knowing how to drive a diesel we (my family bisness I work for) have 3 duramax's for work trucks not to mention where I live we are surrounded my logging company's who all have money to blow and have some pretty damn nice duramax's and they all have sons my age that I grew up with and spent the majority of my child hood so I have always driven there trucks to get chains or fuel or what ever they needed. Now for the new cummins that I raced my best friends brother who is also my friend works/ownes a local grain store and just got in his new orange 4 door or what ever they are called long bed big horn cummins in the Omaha orange (I can include a picture if you fells don't belive me) and I had told him about my exsperinces with the cummins I drove and I said maybe it just feels slow due to the very gradual power delivery that I am not use to with a hemi (down shift and go) so he said there is only one way to find out I guess so we lined them up and sure enough I beat him by quite a large bit granted his truck only has roughly 350 miles on it. As far as pulling 14k I'm pretty my tranny would burn up about 5 miles of pulling the weight and a cummins could most likely pull 14k for 100k+ and never once have a issue because that is what it is designed to do....